Error when upgrading Fedora

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by SteveP18, Apr 14, 2021.

1. SteveP18

SteveP18 Bit poster

When I attempt to upgrade a clean Fedora installation, I am running into an issue that I believe may be being caused by parallels tools. My base install is Fedora33 with a kernel of 5.8.15-301.fc33.aarch64. When I run dnf update, it attempts upgrade to the 5.11.12 kernel. During the build process, the following error is returned when building the kernel modules:
    Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    make -j2 KERNELRELEASE=5.11.12-200.fc33.aarch64 -f Makefile.kmods KSRC=/lib/modules/5.11.12-200.fc33.aarch64/build KVER=5.11.12-200.fc33.aarch64....(bad exit status: 2)
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.11.12-200.fc33.aarch64 (aarch64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/parallels-tools/16.3.2.50531/build/make.log for more information.
    Done.

On inspecting the make.log, there are a bunch of errors relating to /var/lib/dkms/parallels-tools/16.3.2.50531/build/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c , that eventually cause the make command to fail. I've included the log for inspection.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. JasonB3

JasonB3 Junior Member

I think some Ubuntu users here have reported issues updating their Ubuntu VMs to newer kernel versions as well. It sounds like PD just needs to add support for the newer kernels.

3. SteveP18

SteveP18 Bit poster

Just did the Parallels upgrade to the non-technical preview version and the problem has gone away. Upgrades work fine now.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. GustavoN1

GustavoN1 Junior Member

Where can one get this non-technical preview you speak of?

5. SteveP18

SteveP18 Bit poster

It's the newly released version of Parallels Desktop, version 16.5. It now runs on the M1.

6. Hi, you can download it from the official Parallels website.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

7. memoryleak

memoryleak Bit poster