Is nested virtualization supported on the M1?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by GustavoN1, Apr 16, 2021.

1. GustavoN1

GustavoN1 Junior Member

I have a Windows 10 machine I installed before I had made the purchase (so during the trial period). I saw that nested virtualization, which is what I actually want to evaluate, was a pro-only feature, so I made the purchase and added the key. The option mentioned in the following article still doesn't appear, is it not supported or what did I do wrong?

https://kb.parallels.com/116239

2. GustavoN1

GustavoN1 Junior Member

Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I read on an update from the guy who is bringing the M1 up on Linux that the M1 only has 2 "layers" for hypervisors, so I guess nested virtualization is probably impossible. Would have been cool for playing with WSL2 on Windows for ARM...

3. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

I was just trying to get WSL2 working last night and failed. It seems like it needs nested virtualization to work. I don't really have any need for it in a VM but was just experimenting to see what was possible.

4. GustavoN1

GustavoN1 Junior Member

Yeah, I think it is exactly what distinguishes it from WSL1. In any case, I can just run a Linux VM so no problem. It would just be nice to run some benchmarks, WSL1 is enough for whatever else I really need.

5. DominikW

DominikW Bit poster

Well, that's really unfortunate...was looking forward to playing with those cool improvements to WSL2 in regards of being able to run graphical Linux apps under WSL2...but I guess, no Nested Virtualization, no WSL2 on the Mac...damn shame. This would have gotten me to pay for a Parallels license, but I guess I'll simply use HyperV on my Dell laptop from work, then.

6. KevinB21

KevinB21 Bit poster

You could always just run an actual Linux VM. I can't think of any reason I'd actually use a GUI Linux app on a Windows VM on a Mac other than experimentation. I personally use WSL when I'm forced to use Windows for access to basic things like ssh, scp, and grep that are missing on Windows. Don't get me wrong, it'd be cool if it worked but I'm not really worried about it.

7. RonA3

RonA3 Bit poster

I'm an CS teacher, and if I teach docker (for example) I also need to show how it runs on Windows. Can't do that any more.. esp since Windows users experience the most problems. Same thing for other virtualization tools like Vagrant.