Train Sim World 2 not working on Windows 10 for ARM using Parallels for M1.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ShazadA1, Apr 25, 2021.

1. ShazadA1

ShazadA1 Bit poster

If anyone from Parallels can help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have been trying to run Train Sim World 2 on my Windows ARM VM on my Mac mini. Unfortunately, the game hasn't been able to run on my computer at all, and it's primarily the reason I would've purchased Parallels in the first place (I'm on the free trial currently).

I get an error from the Unreal Engine as follows:

An Unreal process has crashed: UE4-TS2Prototype

Unhandled exception

gameoverlayrenderer64
    gameoverlayrenderer64
    TS2Prototype_Win64_Shipping
    kernel32

I have been trying to get this to work since the Technical Preview stage and I still haven't been able to get this to work since...:(

I will be attaching the crash dump with this post.

I think if this isn't going to work, I'm going to have to use something like Shadow PC in order to play my game... But it would've been nice to play the game using my M1 Mac...:(

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Hello, could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here please?

3. ShazadA1

ShazadA1 Bit poster

Thanks for the response, Maria! The report ID is 367857750.

Thanks.

4. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

I'm very interested to know if you get this resolved. Do you use Train Simulator 2021 (RailWorks) also on the M1?
    This might be what decides my next hardware purchases so I am grateful to know how you get on.

5. ShazadA1

ShazadA1 Bit poster

Train Simulator 2021 opens and is playable, but the performance isn't the best. :(

Also Parallels, can I please get an update regarding the case?

6. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

I've given up on Train Simulation virtualisation; Part of the problem is that Dovetail Games are a hopeless publisher and they don't test stuff thoroughly. I could not run Train Simulator safely on my iMac in Boot Camp because it causes system freezes when used with AMD graphics cards, Train Sim World system requirements warn to only use a specific older AMD driver rather than Dovetail fixing what's wrong with their application, and the performance of Train Simulator is appalling on Parallels Desktop since Dovetail refuse to invest in modernising the game engine instead releasing content packs branded as new versions.

I had success with the Parallels Display adapter but sadly the Fife Circle route renders in an unplayable state, and there are odd visual anomalies in other routes too.

My successful solution was to buy a secondhand workstation on eBay with an Nvidia graphics card and run Windows bare metal on that machine. I use my iMac display and peripherals with Microsoft Remote Desktop to log into Steam initially, disconnect then open Steam Link on the iMac and start Train Simulator or Train Sim World 2 from there; that way I at least get to enjoy the iMac's lovely display and my high-end speakers. The Intel powered workstation can stay in a cupboard out of sight.

I'm sorry it's not a nice neat software solution but sadly I think it's the only stable way to enjoy train Simulation on your Mac screen, and it does have an advantage of reducing the load on the Mac.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. You never know: perhaps the M2 processor and Parallels will be a better combination nut I think it's very unlikely.