Incremental external backups of Windows for ARM VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MatthiasE5, May 4, 2021.

1. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

Hello, I would like to do incremental external backups and I would be interested in any hints, or experience.
    There are these issues basically:
    - is the backup software arm-compatible?
    - or does is it compabitle with running in 32bit emulation
    - or in 64 bit emulation?
    - is it parallels-compatible?
    - can the image be successfully mounted?
    - can the image be installed as a VM, or deployed to different hardware (none of which I necessarily need)
    - does the vm need to be isolated during backupg?

Some backup software seems to have broken Surface books, FYI. Of course with a VM backup, that won't pose a risk here.
    I have installed Macrium Reflect -- upon installation, there was an issue with Desktop access, presumably because it is shared with Mac OS. I think the way I fixed was via isolating the machine.

I also noticed that in Windows for ARM insider, file versioning configuration is not accessible in settings even though file versioning is available in the context menu of files.

Also, why does the snapshot system safe all the information in one big VM file, wouldn't it be better if the snapshots were individual files because that would allow users to save incremental backups instead of having to copy the full file to an external drive each time.

2. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

Good news.
    - is the backup software arm-compatible?
    ##macrium reflect WORKED.
    - or in 64 bit emulation?
    ## it worked in x64 emulation
    - is it parallels-compatible?
    ## it seems so.
    - can the image be successfully mounted?
    ## NOT in parallels on M1 BUT on any windows notebook.
    - can the image be installed as a VM, or deployed to different hardware (none of which I necessarily need)
    ## I don't know.
    - does the vm need to be isolated during backupg?
    ## I isolated it, but I doubt that was necessary. I am just overly careful. FEEDBACK/EXPERIENCE APPRECIATED.

Some backup software seems to have broken Surface books, FYI. Of course with a VM backup, that won't pose a risk here.
    ## No issues.

I have installed Macrium Reflect -- upon installation, there was an issue with Desktop access, presumably because it is shared with Mac OS. I think the way I fixed was via isolating the machine.
    ## I think it was just some simple thing, no worries.