Parallels V3 Build 5162, Leopard, freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by chrisk76, Nov 12, 2007.

1. chrisk76

chrisk76 Junior Member

Hi.
    I have a Macbook Pro with Leopard installed, and build 5162 of Parallels V3. Ihave installed the latest version of MacFuse to eliminate the timeout error upon starting the VM, as suggested elsewhere in these forums.

I have XP set up on a bootcamp partition, and am using Parallels to access this from within Mac OS. The XP installation is pretty much up to date and had every available Windows update patch as of last week.

It works perfectly (i.e. all devices are installed, Windows reports no errors etc, software functions exactly as it should), except that at random intervals, (sometimes half an hour, sometimes 3 hours) the parallels VM just freezes completely. Everything on screen stops responding, using the Actions menu to send CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing, and the only solution I know of is to stop the VM, and then restart it.

I am wary of this, as I don't want to damage my installation.

I only tend to use Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005, IIS and internet explorer on my XP install.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

2. chrisk76

chrisk76 Junior Member

Additional information

In case this is relevant:

I have a 20GB partition for XP (its bootcamp, so fixed size)
    VM is set to use 512MB RAM (the machine has 2GB installed)

3. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

Where did you get Build 5162 from? Thought there was only Build 5160 and Beta 5540.

I have the same problem with Beta 5540 (and previously with Build 5160) and I see there are quite a few other with the same problem. With mine, the screen freezes for about a minute or two before Parallels crashes altogether and all you are left with is the Apple Problem Report box.

The crash was happening about twice a day but now it is occurring more often. The freeze/crash happens whether I am working in XP or in OSX 10.5. I have sent my crash logs and bugreports to Parallels.

I have done uninstalls, removal using Parallels recommended Terminal procedure and fresh installs, but the problem persists.

Hope the Parallels team find a fix soon.

4. chrisk76

chrisk76 Junior Member

I got 5162 from the update feature built into Parallels.

This is indeed a pain...

5. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

Thanks. I am currently running Beta 5540 and not sure if it has an update feature or if I should use it.

Think I will wait and see that the Parallels team come up with.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello guys,

chrisk76, there might be a Low Virtual Memory issue. Please, look at this article.

Could you also let me know your VM full configuration: Network emulation type, USB controller setting etc.? Or you can send a copy of .pvs file (/home/<username>/Documents/Parallels/<VM name>/).

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. chrisk76

chrisk76 Junior Member

Don't want to speak too soon.... Have uninstalled my current version of Parallels, installed the beta, and upped the RAM for my VM from 512MB to 768MB and so far, so good. I have also disabled the DirectX accelleration, seeing as I'm not playing games. Fingers crossed...

By the way Xenos, I never got a warning about Virtual memory running low...

8. chrisk76

chrisk76 Junior Member

Oh - for what it's worth, it almost always seemed to coincide with actions that caused fairly heavy IO activity on the hard drive...

9. chrisk76

chrisk76 Junior Member

Spoke too soon. Am back on 5162 and the same problem. How do I upload the required file?

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

chrisk76, please make a copy of your VM .pvs file and send it attached to your post.
    You'll find the file here: /home/<username>/Documents/Parallels/<VM name>/

Best regards,
    Xenos