Windows 10 ARM64 stable release?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by GeronimoG, May 12, 2021.

1. GeronimoG

GeronimoG Bit poster

Hi, is there a stable release of windows 10 available, can I buy a stable release somewhere? It's not good to have parallels license if i can only use it with unstable evaluation copies of windows.

2. StefanosD

StefanosD Bit poster

3. BobW11

BobW11 Member

You can also buy a Pro license to use it. This tells me, in my opinion, that they are legitimate about releasing something. May not be "Home" but it's something that will be eventually stable.

4. GeronimoG

GeronimoG Bit poster

Thanks. I had a couple of days in which it was running very bad, it even made my mac work slow. With latest update its working better. But it's not that good to depend on MS. Hope this changes.

5. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

I was able to activate the Dev version with a legitimate Pro key. As stated, due to lack of x64 emulation support, installing a final is of limited use at the moment. But would it work? And shouldn't we start petitioning MS to make available an installation file of Win fon ARM final versions NOW? I think x64 emulation might well come with the Fall 21 update, and it would be highly annoying for Parallels users and Parallels as a company and anybody who wants to use stable versions of ARM if it were not released (currently, MS only delivers final versions of Win on ARM bundled with hardware). Windows on ARM should be sold like any other version of windows. Like I said, keys work, even though the keys where not sold with any mentioning of ARM. (The benefit of using the key is that it enables some additional functions in the Dev versions, such as customization). The main problems with the Dev version are:
    - there can potentially be bugs that will affect you in some way
    - the update system requires more work and attention
    (question: will ciritical security updates be issued as fast as they are for stable version users)?
    - it is not possible to move from a dev version to a stable version except by reinstalling windows completely
    - to my knowledge, beta and release preview versions expire (becom unsafe) with no possibilty to move to a more recent beta/preview version. I do not not know if one can "sneak" one's way into a final "for ARM" release via beta/preview, even though the final is not available for direct download, and I also do not know if this transition works reliably. For example I have seen beta/preview versions going up in build numbers that were higher than the eventual Final release.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-insider/flighting#switching-between-channels
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/06/15/introducing-windows-insider-channels/

GeronimoG likes this.
  6. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

"f the current build on your device is the same as the current stable build on Microsoft's website, you can head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and use the "Stop Insider Preview Builds" button to opt out of Insider Previews." (quote from MS website.)