What happens when I cancel subscription?

Discussion in 'Account and Subscription Management' started by ShivaR, Feb 19, 2021.

1. ShivaR

ShivaR Bit poster

I have two computers with a parallels subscription.

I wish to hand one down to my son to use as his school computer in the coming fall when he moves into a dormitory. I will buy him a student license when I do that.

My question is as follows:

I have stopped the auto renewal of the subscription so it will expire in May.
    Ideally, I'd like to buy him the student license for v17 when its released and not v16, which I assume has just a few months of life left.

Can he still use the installed Parallels on the computer I have given him after May until he pays for the student license of v17 when its released ?

I'm not finding good explanations of what happens when I cancel a subscription and it reverts to "standard license".

See attached picture. I would appreciate any help/advice. There seems to be a sale on right now, and if the Parallels will stop working in May, then I should probably buy the student license immediately. If I can still use it (without upgrades), I would prefer to wait until v17 is released and buy him a student license for that.

Attached Files:

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi ShivaR, it seems you have misunderstood the Student license. A Student Edition is not a one-time license but a Standard subscription (annual) which is sold with a Student discount. If you cancel a subscription, you cannot use the key any longer. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

3. ShivaR

ShivaR Bit poster

Thanks. So this means in May, parallels will stop working on this computer, so if I want to keep it working, I have to buy the student subscription for my son ASAP.
    This is helpful.

Rgds,

Shiva
    -=-

4. ShivaR

ShivaR Bit poster

I do have a follow up question. The website for purchasing a student license says "one time purchase" when I select the option to buy a license for home and student use. If its a subscription, why does it say that ?

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Share the screenshot of the webpage you are looking to check and advise. In my last reply, click student edition and go to the official website to find more about the student edition.

6. ShivaR

ShivaR Bit poster

7. ShivaR

ShivaR Bit poster

I have a parallels 15 license. I can buy a one-time license for home or student use on this website for 49.99 in the next 9 days apparently.

You have told me that in when this subscription ends, Parallels will stop working. So I have to decide if I buy this, or I buy a student subscription from the link you sent me. This is an old computer, it may not work with the next Mac release. So I hesitate to buy a subscription till I know that it will. It is one of the reasons I want a perpetual license for now until I can decide later how much life this computer has left.

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

If you are not going to upgrade the macOS, then you can buy the one-time standard upgrade.

9. MichaelS115

MichaelS115 Member

I am also interested in solving the problem. Thank you for your inquiry.

10. Caroline1

Caroline1 Bit poster

I am completely confused. I have Mac OS Catalina and the Parallels 11 stopped working. Now to upgrade I see I will be charged annually for a subscription and I cannot just buy one version to work for the life of this computer? Then tell me, if I upgrade to Big Sur will the Parallels 16 stop working because version 17 is coming out? And then, if I have a subscription everything will be syncopated? However, next year, I will be charged again for this Parallels software?

11. JacekA

JacekA Junior Member

I have the same dilemma. I updated to Big Sur, but this is probably the last possible system update, so I won't need newer versions of Parallels.

12. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, currently which Parallels Desktop version do you have?

13. JacekA

JacekA Junior Member

Version 14.

14. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, Parallels Desktop 14 is maximum compatible with Mac OS Catalina. You need to upgrade Parallels Desktop to version 17.

15. MarkK23

MarkK23 Bit poster

You have to upgrade Parallels Desktop to version 17 and it will work.

16. MarkK23

MarkK23 Bit poster

Updated to a
    new version and everything broke again. Everything is connected with the update of the program apparently.