Running Mojave and Windows 10 on Mac OS Big Sur

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by curlydog, May 16, 2021.

1. curlydog

curlydog Bit poster

I am about to purchase Parallels 16, but before I embark on this I thought I should check with the forum hive mind:
    I upgraded to Big Sur, and as a consequence have lost the ability to run my 32bit programmes. I thought this would be ok but I'm becoming more and more frustrated in what I have lost. It seems that some apps and games will never be re-made in 64 bit. So I have initially set up Mojave to run from an external drive using Boot Camp, but because it is so slow and inconvenient to do this, I thought I would try the Parallels route instead.
    So firstly is this possible? Will Mojave run smoothly in Parallels and let me run my 32bit apps and secondly would I be able to also install Windows 10 at the same time? Or would it be best to install Windows 10 on the external drive?
    Thanks
    curlydog

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I have exactly this running (well actually slightly more - Win10 32bit, Win10 64bit, Mojave, Windows XP, and Linux). 98% of 32bit apps run fine. The exceptions are things like games that use direct access to the video hardware. Some of these run, but some have issues. I have two of the VM's on an external SSD, and the others on the internal SSD. I used a time machine copy of the last version of Mojave I had running before updating to the later Mac OS's. The biggest issue I had with Big Sur, was that it refused to support my APC UPS, while the older Mac OS's supported this fine. Ended up moving the UPS onto another machine and getting a CyperPower unit that runs fine. With my machine the VM's boot in a couple of seconds when required, and it is just those few useful packages that make these essential.

curlydog likes this.
  3. curlydog

curlydog Bit poster

Thanks, that's useful to know. I have installed a trial version at the moment and I have Mojave running, but it looks a bit "fuzzy", there is a bit of trackpad lag and it is making my MacBook Pro run very hot. So I bought an SSD to experiment with. I now have Mojave on that too(which is silent), and I am trying to load Windows 10 to another partition, but this is proving difficult so far. I will give Parallels another go but I can't stand the fan noise.