SQL Server Update to Install on Windows for Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mundford, May 13, 2021.

1. Mundford

Mundford Junior Member

2. LukasV2

LukasV2 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I've created a script that can install SQL Server Express 2019 and 2022 in Parallels on M1. You can download it here: https://github.com/jimm98y/MSSQLEXPRESS-M1-Install. Just run the bat file and wait until it completes.

It turned out the problem is not in the SQL Server, but in their installation. The script just fixes the installation so that the service can be started. I've been able to successfully use the SQL Express for development after installing it this way.

So far the only drawback I know about is that the LocalDB feature is not working from the ARM64 version of the Visual Studio. It looks like the ARM64 VS is trying to load x64 DLLs from the SQL installation, which obviously won't work. Otherwise, ASP.NET apps can connect to the SQL Server instance and I am also able to use the SSMS to manage the databases.

GlennW3, ping2, LucaR7 and 7 others like this.
  3. AbolhassanZ

AbolhassanZ Bit poster

Hi Mundford,
    Both of the links you have given are cumulative updates (which I think must be installed after installing SQL Server). But I cannot install SQL Server Express on my Windows 10 ARM VM. After going deep into the installation process and nearly at the end of it an error message appears as follows:

Attached Files:

Saad2, Twt_T4 and HumbertoB like this.
  4. Mundford

Mundford Junior Member

Hi
    Yes, I had exactly the same problem and had been attempting everything I could think of with no success during the Parallels pre-release period and after; the same error message appeared as you've attached. What worked for me was to run the cumulative installe and then rerun the SQL Server Express install, which then succeeded. It seems to need whatever the cumulative installer needs for the downloaded 2019 installer to work.

I hope this works for you as well.

All the best
    Andy

5. AbolhassanZ

AbolhassanZ Bit poster

Hi
    Thank you Munford for your reply. This fix will be very helpful for me.

6. ErnestJ

ErnestJ Bit poster

I've tried this update with full version of MS SQL Server, but still getting error when installing, anyone had success with this?

7. ThosapolK

ThosapolK Bit poster

Hi, For who have problem with install SQL Server Express 2019. I confirmed Mundford answer solved this problem!
    Steps I try
    1. Install SQLServer 2019 Express >> Fail DB Service not install
    2. Run Path from Mundford link
    3. Run SQL Serve 2019 Express again>> Now, DB Server installed!! Thank you Mundford!!
    Screen Shot 2564-08-02 at 00.13.16.png

8. sezgine

sezgine Bit poster

Hello there,

Although I have done the above order correctly, a successful installation does not occur. Is there anyone else who is successful about the subject?

9. MarioV4

MarioV4 Bit poster

Same problem here but with Win11.

10. sezgine

sezgine Bit poster

Yes, I couldn't succeed on win10, so I try and install Win11, but the result is still unsuccessful

11. PerArg

PerArg Bit poster

It cannot be installed. I have tried almost everything. I am at 21390 version. I tried these steps: #6 but I got an error at the end.

Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 2.56.07 PM.png

12. sezgine

sezgine Bit poster

Hello there,

I installed SQL 2014 32-Bit Version without any problems and it is working, now I will try for 2019 version update and share the results.

AlejandroS6 and asocial-duck like this.
  13. sezgine

sezgine Bit poster

i forgot to post a picture

Attached Files:

14. PerArg

PerArg Bit poster

Hmm... SQL 2014 but 32bit version is installed indeed. But the documentation for 2017 and above says "You cannot upgrade a 32-bit instance of SQL Server to native 64-bit using SQL Server Setup". So it cannot be done (I've tried already)

Then I tried to install SQL 2014 64bit but I get the same unknown error (0xe0000235) as in SQL 2019... I suppose something is going wrong between 64bit and ARM :confused:
    Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 1.41.03 AM.png

15. AldemirF

AldemirF Bit poster

I have the same problem. I applied the fix that Mundford used, but without success!
    I suspect it's a windows bug in build 21390.

16. AldemirF

AldemirF Bit poster

Your suppose is correct. I installed SQL Server 2014 32-bit and it worked.
    I tried installed 64-bit and gave an error.

17. AldemirF

AldemirF Bit poster

64-bit driver bug on in the build 21390.
    Mundford installed SQL Server 2019 64-bits on build 21376.
    I didn't find any fix for this.

18. VitorC2

VitorC2 Bit poster

I have the same error when installing on win 11
    Did anyone get it?

AlejandroS6 likes this.
  19. MarcosW

MarcosW Bit poster

Hi there. Update here as this installation almost drove me mad. Step by step that I followed and worked (as for today 15-sep-2021):
    Device - MacBook Air M1 (2020)
    Virtual Software - Parallels Desktop 17 Standard Edition For Home & Student Use
    OS - Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_21354
    SQL - SQL2019-SSEI-Expr
    After trying to install SQL2019-SSEI-Expr, you will see an error message (exit code decimal 2068052294). Don't worry.
    Download this patch >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100809
    Run it (SQLServer2019-KB5004524-x64)
    Once the previous step is done. Run again SQL2019-SSEI-Expr
    Gave me installation success to me. I then installed SSMS-Setup-ENU
    Hope it helps.

20. EnriqueM2

EnriqueM2 Bit poster

Ya lo intenté varias veces siguiendo sus instrucciones y me sigue saliendo error, especificamente en la actualizaciòn de SQL Server 2019 "Servicios de Motor de base de datos (SQLEXPRESS)"

21. MarcosW

MarcosW Bit poster

Hi! Make sure you use this version of Windows Insider Preview (Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_21354) you can update after sql is installed... otherwise it won't work, tried with the new one and didn't... Saludos

EdgseG likes this.