Forti Client instalations problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AttilaS2, Apr 20, 2021.

1. AttilaS2

AttilaS2 Bit poster

When install the Forticlient VPN, appearing the error message:

Service 'fortiapd' (fortiapd) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

The installation run whit administrator.

MiguelA18 likes this.
  2. MattJ2

MattJ2 Member

I'm having this same issue. Wondering if it's related to being on ARM version of Windows... In any case, if I can't run Forticlient I have no point in running Windows, and.. no point in owning Parallels anymore.
    This is a disappointment for sure so far.

MiguelA18 likes this.
  3. MiguelA18

MiguelA18 Bit poster

Were you able to fix it? I´m having the very same problem. I contacted Parallels Support and they told me to follow this instructions:
    1. Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and open Accessibility. Make sure that box next to Parallels Desktop is checked.
    2. Do the same for Full Disk Access.
    Note: If the Parallels Desktop is not listed click the (+) and go to the application folder > Parallels Desktop and double click to add it to the list.
    3. Reinstall Parallels tools, refer to the article https://kb.parallels.com/115835
    4. check for updates and make sure you are up to date ,https://kb.parallels.com/111603
    But it didn't work... Still looking for a solution.
    Cheers.

4. MarcosH1

MarcosH1 Bit poster

Hi,
    Were you able to find a solution for this ? I am struggling with the same issue, I cannot install forticlient so my VM is useless at the moment.
    Regards

5. RobertoV7

RobertoV7 Bit poster

Hi guys,
    I had the same issue. But I found a solution in my case it worked and I hope it can help you.

- Go Microsoft Store
    - Find "Forticlient"
    - Click to Get it
    - Follow the steps to set up the VPN using Settings > Network > Add VPN
    - VPN Provider > FortiClient

FamilusiB likes this.
  6. ChrisH49

ChrisH49 Bit poster

Same here FortiClient VPN is not running on my M1 Max MacBook

7. MarcosH1

MarcosH1 Bit poster

Hi Chris,
    I really had a hard time with this issue, I hope my solution helps you, the main problem is about tap driver because installers don't have it compiled for ARM Architecture, what I had to do "Compile the driver with your processor following instructions from this github repo https://github.com/OpenVPN/tap-windows6, building and installing .. " after that you have to install Fortclient from Microsoft Store as RobertV7 said, for me this works with cisco open connect and fortclient.

Regards

8. FamilusiB

FamilusiB Bit poster

Hi Guys,

I had the same issue (Apple M1 Max) with Windows 11 on parallels. I followed @RobertV7 approached and it worked.

I did not have to compile the tap driver.

See RobertV7 instructions below
    Hi guys,
    I had the same issue. But I found a solution in my case it worked and I hope it can help you.

- Go Microsoft Store
    - Find "Forticlient"
    - Click to Get it
    - Follow the steps to set up the VPN using Settings > Network > Add VPN
    - VPN Provider > FortiClient

9. BillD42

BillD42 Bit poster

Yeah, So the Microsoft Store version of Forticlient can work but it can also be pretty finnicky. It often put me in a reboot loop on startup trying to apply new drivers. The other problem is that the Store version of the headless Forticlient doesn't support ipsec or sso-enforced SSL vpn connections. So, if your employer forces SSO on the VPN (which seems reasonable, especially to get MFA) then you can't connect anymore b/c that version doesn't have support for that feature. ... And... as of right now... 6 months and waiting, in my case, Fortinet is dragging ass on releasing an official Arm64 Windows version of the full Zero Trust Fortinet Client. This is is a dumpster fire and I hate everything about it.

10. BillD42

BillD42 Bit poster

Yeah, So the Microsoft Store version of Forticlient can work but it can also be pretty finnicky. It often put me in a reboot loop on startup trying to apply new drivers. The other problem is that the Store version of the headless Forticlient doesn't support ipsec or sso-enforced SSL vpn connections. So, if your employer forces SSO on the VPN (which seems reasonable, especially to get MFA) then you can't connect anymore b/c that version doesn't have support for that feature.

I waited about 6 months for Fortinet to release an official Arm64 Windows version of the full Zero Trust Fortinet Client, still waiting but here's a workaround if the above Microsoft-Store solution doesn't work for you.

Install the VPN Client on your Host Mac, establish your connection. Switch your Parallels to shared network instead of bridged or whatever you are currently on. Parallels will share the vpn routes to your Windows VM. If you need to access resources from the Windows Parallels VM, enable port forwarding for those services in the advanced networking features of the network confg in parallels for that virtual NIC. In my case, for instance, I use that VM as a testRunner for Windows .Net stuff so I RDP into it routinely. Enable port forwarding from host 3389 to VM 3389 and then RDP into your Mac's IP address and it gets forwarded to the VM.

(Should work with any vpn client, not just Forticlient)

Pavel Merkulov likes this.