Isn't Fedora 34 compatible with Parallels latest version?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ReynierP, Apr 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

After upgrade from Fedora 33 to Fedora 34 this is all I am seeing. Any ideas?

upload_2021-4-30_11-6-23.png

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

The first thing they will tell you is they don't support Fedora 34 (it's not a year old yet). Good thing I didn't dnf update yet.

ReynierP likes this.
  3. readabook

readabook Bit poster

I uninstalled "the tools" before I did the command line upgrade. Afterwards I ran the installer again and it works for the most part. I did get an error message about pausing machines running Wayland not being a thing.

4. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

@readabook how did you uninstalled "the tools"? I am gonna check about Wayland but I don't think I am using it at all.

5. readabook

readabook Bit poster

@ReynierP Run the text installer and it should give you an option to uninstall.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

In fact, it's a good idea to regularly run the text installer. The gui installer has a few quirks, like disappearing before you can even type a sudo password when rebooting after a new kernel is installed. The text installer always works and gives you vastly more feedback.

7. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

@readabook excellent! it works like a charm! I am now running Fedora 34 yay!

8. BDillzz

BDillzz Bit poster

This does not work, how did you get the guest tools installed?

9. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

10. BDillzz

BDillzz Bit poster

Thanks ReynierP, I should have been more specific. They installed fine on Fedora 33, when I upgraded to F34 they no longer install. The install from CLI fails w/ exit 1
    tail of /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log
    make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.modpost:145: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/Module.symvers] Error 1
    make[3]: *** Deleting file '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/Module.symvers'
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:1756: modules] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:43: prl_tg] Error 2
    make: *** [Makefile.kmods:30: compile] Error 2
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install Parallels Guest Tools!
    2021-05-25T07:18:35-0400: execCmd: ./install --install [167]

kernel version:
    5.12.6-300.fc34.aarch64

11. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Interesting. dnf upgrade/installed Fedora 34 over 33 with only minor issues. During the process, tools rebuilt as normal during the new kernel's runscript, and everything seems to have applied nicely. Only minor issue was all the gnome extensions blew up, and the new(er) extensions app doesn't work, but that was quickly fixed by using the gnome website to update all the broken extensions.

So, if people had to uninstall Tools, then re-install them to get Tools to work properly, I'm just wondering if there was something odd about the installation or dkms setup that caused the problem to begin with. Certainly by re-installing it fixed those problems and it shouldn't recur - that is - until any kernel updates break it.

12. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Just wondering if the kernel you were using in 33 was older than 5.11.1, which has a problem with aarch64. Then, when you upgraded to 34 it went to 5.12.6. See https://forum.parallels.com/threads...el-5-11-1-parallels-tools-16-1-3-4960.352695/ for more details.

13. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

@Mark Fine I am not sure what kernel did I have installed when I perform the upgrade however Fedora docs recommend you to do a full upgrade on the current version before go into a new one which I did :) I believe the issue I had was the same as you but didn't dig too much on it I went through the other path and remove the tools, do the upgrade to 34 and install them back. Afterward, I was able to see the error with the Gnome Extensions and fixed it.

14. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

ReynierP likes this.