Black Screen when try to use Parallels Access using Safari

Discussion in 'Accessing your Mac' started by RafaelaC1, May 30, 2021.

1. RafaelaC1

RafaelaC1 Bit poster

Parallels Access is an excellent tool, but when I try to use it through Safari I am always getting a black screen instead of connecting to my computer.
    Please help!
    Access is working fine with chrome.

MatthewW16 likes this.
  2. JesusP5

JesusP5 Bit poster

I get blank screen after updating to big sur 11.4 using any device, os, or browser, even mobile. Unable to connect, windows or earlier mac os versions still working fine. Been trying for a week to get a hold of support but no one answers

MatthewW16 likes this.
  3. DarylH1

DarylH1 Bit poster

Any update on this? I have tried various combinations of MacBooks running Catalina or Big Sur and Safari or Chrome and always get a blank screen back from the remote computer. I've verified the remote computers each have up to date versions of the Parallels Access app (currently 7.0.0). Each of the remote computers can be accessed OK from an iPhone or iPad running the mobile app and I can see the remote screen. It's only trying to see the remote display on a MacBook browser where I have the problem.

4. DarylH1

DarylH1 Bit poster

Also, just for fun, I tried a moment ago to access a remote computer using a Windows VM running in Parallels Desktop and connected to a remote MacBook using the Edge browser. Same result, blank screen.

5. Warren3

Warren3 Bit poster

Same thing, I am connected to my Mac, but only see a black screen with timer. I have had a remote engineer online, and now it's back with engineering as not fixed

6. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello, Kindly follow the below steps to re-install Parallels Access and check.
    1. Uninstall Parallels Access from your remote computer completely.
    2. Download a fresh copy of Parallels Access from this website; https://www.parallels.com/products/access/get-started/
    3. Install a fresh copy of Parallels Access on your remote computer.

7. DarylH1

DarylH1 Bit poster

Thanks Asish,
    I have uninstalled Parallels Access on two of my MacBooks, an older 2012 MacBook running Catalina 10.15.7 and a newer one running Monterey. I reinstalled the fresh copy and verified that all the access permissions were approved on each computer. I then tried connecting remotely to the other MacBook. While I can make the connection and see the mouse move on the remote computer, all I see on the local computer is a grey screen. I tried connecting with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox and each gives the same result, grey screen on the local computer.
    I also tried connecting from the other direction using the newer MacBook on Monterey to connect to the older MacBook running Catalina. Same result. I have a connection and can see the mouse move on the remote computer and can manipulate the remote computer, i.e., open an email, click on a browser tab, etc., but on the local computer all I see is a blank grey screen.

8. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

9. JimW9

JimW9 Bit poster

Daryl, Warren, did you ever get this resolved? I have this quite regularly, against one particular machine. Happens from both Edge and Safari. Client is web, so shouldn't have a versioning issue. I just reinstalled Parallels Access on remote system and ensured it's up to date. Now (again) I'm remote and don't have physical access to that machine (thus paying for Parallels Access!) but need to connect. It's flakey, 95% of time it's black screen, sometimes a connection will work, I haven't figured out the pattern.

Happens with more than one remote system also, so it's not just something that one remote system.

10. JimW9

JimW9 Bit poster

Note: Seems independent of browser - just tried it from Edge and Firefox on a PC and Safari on a Mac, same black screen for all, once I successfully log onto the machine.

11. DarylH1

DarylH1 Bit poster

No I have not. Recently received my new MacBook Pro with M1 Max processor and installed parallels desktop and parallels access on it. Attempted to connect to my various other MacBooks of different flavors and got the same black screen. Tried it from the other direction, connecting from a browser on one of the other MacBooks to the new MacBook with freshly installed parallels access. Same black screen.

I can connect from my iPad to any of the various MacBooks OK and see their screens or applications fine.

I've also tried every available browser, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Tor, etc, and have tried from a Windows VM and a Linux VM with the same results - Black screen. Note that I can move the mouse on the Remote Desktop and open apps and so on from the computer where I have the web browser open, it's just that I can't see what I'm doing. It is a one way kind of thing, control goes out to the remote computer but no video comes back.

This is really frustrating as the major reason I have for using Access to to help my 84 year old mother when she is having computer issues, which is often. We have to resort to screen shots or FaceTime, etc on her phone showing me her computer so I can help her with the issue. This used to work fine, but somewhere along the way between the various Mac OS updates the ability for me to see the other screen got broken.

I did the data capture requested by Parallels, but haven't heard anything back besides it was being escalated to more capable people or something like that.

12. JimW9

JimW9 Bit poster

Thanks Daryl, sorry to hear. Similar to my experience - multiple browsers, ensuring Parallels updated on both ends, etc. For me, it's dependent on the endpoint - connecting to one particular remote PC does this 99.9% of the time (seems to be ok, sometimes, if I'm on local network, though it could be something else). Others don't seem to have the problem. I can always connect and log on, but then I get no screen or other apparent activity.

If I connect with iOS client I can see the LIST of apps/icons, but clicking on any of them gives me same black screen w/ no UI, so it seems to be an issue with displaying any screen activity - not just fullscreen mode. Though I also can't see the list of files either if I click on Files in the Parallels UI, so it's not JUST screen activity that's borked.

A hard power down, wait, and restart of the recalcitrant remote PC sometimes works, but since it's remote (and usually unattended) I'm of course not able to do this remotely, so if it's in this condition I can't connect to it unless I'm physically there.

13. John84

John84 Bit poster

I have the same issue! Black screen despite uninstalling Parallels and re-installing, changing screen size etc.

14. ChristophB10

ChristophB10 Bit poster

For many weeks I'm now unable to access my M1 Macbook Pro from another M1 Macbook Pro. Tried all browsers. Still I'm getting a grey screen. I can move the mouse remotely, but I get no picture. Please fix this as this is getting very frustrating.

15. JimW9

JimW9 Bit poster

Note: I THINK I might have figured it out, at least for one of my host machines (Windows). I had a theory (after trying many other things) that perhaps the reason I was seeing black, is that the Windows backing display bitmap was actually black due to something happening in the video card. I confirmed that this did NOT seem to ever happen if the host PC was showing live video to the monitor.

I changed my Windows Power settings on the specific HOST machine having the problems, to NOT turn off the display (Settings/Power & Sleep/Screen/When plugged in, turn off after xxx), but to instead keep it on indefinitely, but set up a blank (black) screensaver instead.

My power settings were set to shut off external display after a period of time. I think this was causing the video card (EVGA nVidea 3080) to see that there was nothing connected to the DisplayPort output, and this was impacting Parallels Access which I assume under the covers is accessing the video output.

I have other machines that I don't need to do this on, but it appears that perhaps for certain video cards (or video cards / outputs / monitor combinations), the Windows screen sleep causes issues.

Haven't played with this on Mac host recently.

16. ElenaM

ElenaM Bit poster

Trying to connect to iMac from a MacBook Pro. Issue for me is grey screen appears in browser window (Safari & Chrome) when the target iMac has Displays set to « Scaled » instead of « Default for Display ». No issue using an iPad with iMac set either way.

17. Biagio Paruolo

Biagio Paruolo Bit poster

Hi, I solved to setup the remote MacBook Pro Intel i7 2019 display resolution to 1536x960 and not the default resolution ( maybe to high ).