$RECYCLE.BIN folder on Windows desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Oct 4, 2017.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Not sure specifically when this started (though after upgrading to 10.13 is a good bet), but I have a $RECYCLE.BIN folder ever persistent on my windows desktop.

If I delete the folder, it immediately returns. If I right click on it in windows & click the "Hidden" option to hide it, it vanishes from the desktop, however it is immediately re-flagged as visible (un-hidden). That is to stay, if I check hidden & click apply it visually disappears, but hitting F5 to refresh the desktop causes it to re-appear...

I realize the folder SHOULD be here, but I cannot figure out why it is forcing itself to remain visible. And in case you are wondering, the Windows option to show hidden files is most definitely off (if I check off the option to show hidden files in Windows a few other files do become visible in the desktop folder and disappear again when I uncheck the show hidden files option -- but the $RECYCLE.BIN folder remains visible throughout).

2. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I just updated Parallels to the latest version, but it had no impact on this issue...

I found the only way to get rid of the folder is to FULLY DISABLE the shared desktop folder setting. Re-enabling the shared desktop immediately re-creates the folder... Again, nothing I do seems to hide the folder...

3. Jaird

Jaird Bit poster

I am also having the same problem and I can assure you that it was after upgrading to mac os 10.13

4. YoshiroK

YoshiroK Bit poster

I have the same phenomenon as you all.
    Both Macs are High Sierra and Windows 10 is the latest version.
    Once I tried, I cleanly installed Windows 8 I owned to Parallels Desktop. However, the same phenomenon is emerging.

5. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

What if you set the hidden attribute using Terminal on the host?
    Code:
    $ chflags hidden ~/Desktop/\$RECYCLE.BIN

6. YoshiroK

YoshiroK Bit poster

Thank you for your advice.
    I wrote a command line at the terminal.
    However, no change is seen.
    If you have any good ideas, please let us know.

7. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

You have tried the Windows option for this:

Settings
    Personalisation
    Themes
    Desktop Icon Settings
    Then remove the tick in 'Recycle Bin'

Microsoft changed this a little while ago, and the tick box in the bottom corner of the page 'allow themes to override desktop settings' appeared. Now if the 'theme' says to show the bin, it'll override the settings to hide the bin.....

8. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

Thank you all. We've found the root cause and are working on the fix.

9. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Just downloaded a parallels update which appears to fix the issue. THANKS!!!!

StephanR1 likes this.
  10. StephanR1

StephanR1 Bit poster

Does the $RECYCLE.BIN folder only disappear again in the Update 13?

11. Dmitrij3

Dmitrij3 Bit poster

Hi!
    I have same problem. Where I can download this update? Now I have PD 13.2 version.

12. Aiah_Wang

Aiah_Wang Bit poster

Hi!
    Now I have the latest version of PD, but the problem is still not resolved.

Dmitrij3 likes this.
  13. CarlosRoberts

CarlosRoberts Bit poster

January 2019... Version 14.1.0 (45387) and the problem is still there. ¿Any suggestion?

14. AustinB1

AustinB1 Bit poster

I had the same problem and followed the instructions on Microsoft's support page:
    • Open File Explorer from the taskbar.

• Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.

• Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, deselect Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

15. MichaelK78

MichaelK78 Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 16.5 and this is still and issue. For whatever reason a $RECYCLE.BIN folder is created in any MacOS shared folder: Desktop, Music, Documents, Photos and Downloads. There is also a desktop.ini file created, but I think that's normal for Windows. There shouldn't be a $RECYCLE.BIN folder since that doesn't even go to the Windows Recycle Bin.

16. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter