High RAM usage for VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DennisJ3, May 10, 2021.

1. DennisJ3

DennisJ3 Bit poster

I have a Windows 10 ARM VM set to use 4GB of RAM. Immediately upon starting the VM, it's using 8GB of system memory. Is this normal?

upload_2021-5-10_9-55-50.png

2. RichardT22

RichardT22 Bit poster

Hi, having exactly the same issue!
    I have tried allocating different amounts of memory and number of CPUs to experiment and makes no difference.
    Worth noting that in Windows I am only running MS Teams (due to some quirks I have with the Mac version) and Task manager is showing the full 4/5gbs of RAM being used, and yet in resources in Task Manager nothing is using more then 400mb!

3. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

It would be really good to get on answer on this - I'm seeing the same thing even with a fresh VM and no apps installed. The memory values in task manager just don't add up to anywhere near the memory in use which is always 90%+ of what I've allocated to the VM.

4. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

This is a driver bug and it makes me crazy. In the last few days I tried a lot of different options without any success. The end result is always the same. See my attachment. The system got 8GB memory and more than 6GB used by "Driver locked".
    Please fix this problem asap. Your software is too expensive to just install it and not use it at all. Currently, PD is totally useless on my M1 macbook.

Attached Files:

5. Sysmet

Sysmet Junior Member

Same issue.

6. Hello guys,
    could you reproduce the issue and collect the tech report right after that please?
    Also please share the report's ID here.

7. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Hi Maria
    I've just sent ID 369510889.
    Thanks,
    Mike.

8. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

Sure.
    Here is my report ID: 369511002

Thanks in advance.
    Roland

9. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

I didn't give up yet, and I really want to use windows on my M1 macbook. So I investigated more in this topic.
    As I said earlier, this is a bug in your driver. I attached a video, where you can see the problem and a temporary workaround.
    I just uninstalled the "Parallels Memory Controller" device in the "Device Manager" and it immediatelly released all of the occupied memory.
    I know this is not the final solution and I'm sure there is a good reason why this device installed by "Parallels Tools".
    But I can use the windows without this driver, it remains fast and stable after the uninstall.
    Anyway, I'm looking for the real solution from you.

CynthiaR1, DmitrijG, SimonR6 and 4 others like this.
  10. Sysmet

Sysmet Junior Member

Received answer on a support ticket from employee Aydaskhan Asochakov that it's a normal behavior. Well, I disagree.

Tom40 likes this.
  11. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Thanks for this workaround - I've just done the same thing and my memory usage dropped from 98% to below 30%. Processes now appear to be reporting the correct memory usage in Task Manager too.

12. RichardT22

RichardT22 Bit poster

Thank you RolandB!

This workaround appears to be working for me as well; I look forward to a formal fix in the near future.

13. KramerC

KramerC Bit poster

I am also having this issue. RolandB's suggested fix worked for me. But I hope they official fix this.

14. CarlosR29

CarlosR29 Member

The workaround worked for me...thanks!!

15. Mojster

Mojster Bit poster

I have the same issue and workaround worked... but this is a bit much... I get that windows for ARM is a preview, but Linux is not, and we still don't have sound in Linux VMS. Come on Parallels, you are not cheap....

16. RichardT22

RichardT22 Bit poster

I have noticed that the Memory Tool reinstalls itself every time I restart the VM, does anyone have a more permanent solution than uninstalling with attempting to delete driver until Parallels fixes the issue?

17. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

Yes, you can do it permanently. When you uninstall the driver in the Device Manager, mark the "Attempt to remove the driver for this device" checkbox, like I did in the video. In this case the Windows will delete the driver file as well and not able to reinstall it again.

And don't worry, if you reinstall the Parallels Tools, you will get back the driver again. But it is not recommended until they won't fix this huge memory leak bug.

RichardT22 likes this.
  18. RichardT22

RichardT22 Bit poster

Thank you Roland,
    I've been ticking the box as you have demonstrated but every time I have performance issues it appears to have found it's way back. Perhaps there has been some updates from Parallels which reinstalls it?

19. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

No, they don't have any new updates, unfortunatelly.
    You can try manually delete this file: "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\prl_memdev.sys", after uninstall device.
    Without this file the Windows unable to reinstall the device.

RichardT22 likes this.
  20. RichardT22

RichardT22 Bit poster

Fabulous, thank you