Network initialization failed when running 4th clone of Ubuntu Server

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by KrzysztofO, May 30, 2021.

1. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

I made a VM with Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS and then I cloned it 4 times (using linked clone option from one snapshot first, then standard clone option as well) and tried running both 5 VMs at the same time, but when I'm trying to start the 4th machine (whichever one it is - original or one the clones) I get the error message "Network initialization failed" from Parallels. All of the VMs run Bridged network and if I trying to select different type of network card (Intel or Realtek) doesn't have any impact.

I tried running the machines one by one and change their hostname (using hostnamectl set-hostname) thinking that this might the problem, but it didn't help.
    All VMs have 4GB of RAM, 24 GB of disk, 2 CPUs assigned, and are Bridged to Default network adapter (selecting between Ethernet and Wifi doesn't change anything either).

Host is iMac 27" 2020 running macOS 11.4 (the most recent one) with 72 GB of RAM, Core i7 with 8/16 cores/logical cores and 1TB SSD.
    I have found no information that there is any hard limit on number of VMs that can use network bridging (when I run bridged Windows 10 machine as the 4th one it seems to run perfectly fine), so what is the issue? And is it a Parallels limitation or macOS/iMac hardware limitation? Is it something that I can configure to change on either guest OS, Parallels or host OS level? Not being able to run more than 3 VMs at once seem pretty limiting and I would like to understand why that is thew case and if anything can be done about it.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

I found this works: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist && sudo killall -9 configd
    A full macOS restart is required after deleting that file, but then all VMs start normally. However, when system is running (I keep my iMac constantly on) and some time passes - maybe a couple of days - and then I want to start another VM the error returns. And then again applying the rm/killall/restart commands works, but is just plainly annoying. It looks like a bug. Could anyone share some light on this?