Parallels 16 and macOS Monterey

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mile5Teg, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Mile5Teg

Mile5Teg Bit poster

Has anyone successfully run a Windows 10 VM on Parallels 16 with the Monterey developer preview? Hoping there will be less issues than the Big Sur upgrade.

2. Dott.V

Dott.V Bit poster

I'm running Windows 10 Pro VM on Parallels 16 with MacOS 12 Monterey Beta 1.
    Parallels Desktop was installed easily and so far I have not detected any problems.
    On the contrary, it seems to me that in Monterey P.D. works much better and faster than in Big Sur.
    Moreover... my iMac isn't supported by Monterey!!! ;):):rolleyes: and I use OpenCore Legacy Patcher only for spoofing to iMac17,1 from 14.2 and to allow installation and boot without any patch (for Kext, etc.)
    iMac 27'' Late 2013 - CPU i7 24 GB RAM - nVidia GTX 780M 4GB VRAM

AlbertoM6 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  3. @Dott.V thanks a lot for share your results.
    We also would like to inform you that Parallels Engineering team is testing Parallels Desktop for Mac and other products with macOS Monterey Beta to ensure full support of macOS Monterey as soon as it is released.
    Please subscribe on this KB article to receive updates about this question.

4. imam

imam Bit poster

Hi, greetings from Bali Indonesia. I just upgraded monterey on existing SSD, MBA i5 8GB 256GB, not on VM. and my Parallel won't open. Downgrade to big sur also mean I have to erase and clean install my existing ssd with big sur which I don't intended to do. Any clue how to to get back to big sur in most secure possible way? thank you.

5. FabianR1

FabianR1 Member

Not sure if this is noted or included in the KB, but here's what I got...
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 11.07.47 AM.jpg

6. FabianR1

FabianR1 Member

Found my issue, for some odd reason, my Boot Camp SSD wasn't being ejected/unmounted from the my iMac's Desktop. Once I manually ejected the T7, Parallels 16.5.0 worked as expected.

7. FabianR1

FabianR1 Member

This is still happening with version 16.5.1 (49187). Parallels Desktop still isn't ejecting/unmounting my external Boot Camp SSD after launching the PD app.

JohnG24 likes this.
  8. JohnG24

JohnG24 Bit poster

Did you ever get PD 16 working on Monterey? I'm holding off upgrading my laptop OS unless PD 16 will work.

Or I'll stop using PD altogether.

martmeister, WanchalermP and CaioN like this.
  9. martmeister

martmeister Member

I got PD16 right before PD17 came out (not eligible for the free upgrade. Just a few weeks out) and really don't want to pay another $50. Interested to hear what people are experiencing on macOS Monterey and PD16. I am running Windows 10 on my VM. Simple setup.

JohnG24 likes this.
  10. tomb18

tomb18 Bit poster

Hi! I would know if Parallels Desktop 16.5 is still working in the last update of macOS Monterey. Since now, I decided to not update macOS from Big Sur to Monterey because in the PD site it says that PD 16 isn't compatible with Monterey, so before updating, I would have the certainty that I may use PD 16 running on macOS Monterey. Anyone of the users or the PD team can give me this information? Thank you!

11. Pablo Alandia

Pablo Alandia Bit poster

Dott @Dott

May I have instructions on how did you installed OpenCore Monterey and so on.

I actually installed Monterey with OpenCore Legacy patcher on my iMac 21" core i5 with 20 GB RAM but then installer of parallels cant go on and crashes also VMware fusion dont work and Virtualbox is to slow .. it works but suddenly crashes to.. I think It is something with Monterey and OCLP..

Any Ideas?

12. thanar

thanar Member

I have the exact same issues as you with any version of Parallels not launching on an iMac 11,1 running Monterey through OCLP. Whenever the Patches are active, Parallels will not launch. If I disable the patches, it works fine. But the system is unusable.

13. Dotpot iT

Dotpot iT Help Business Successful Online

Parallels 16 is a software that allows users to run Windows and other operating systems on their Macs. macOS Monterey is the latest version of the Mac operating system, released in October 2021. A short discussion about the compatibility and features of Parallels 16 and macOS Monterey is as follows: