Add Sessions Tab for Remote PCs

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server Feature Suggestions' started by MichaelD52, Jun 16, 2021.

1. MichaelD52

MichaelD52 Bit poster

There is currently only one way to see (that i know of) who is logged into a Remote PC. That is to go to License -> View Active Users. This way doesn't even tell you that they are connected to a Remote PC session, just that they are connected to a session and using a license. I know they are using Remote PC only because that's the only app i gave them access to.

What i'm proposing is to add a Tab for "Sessions" under Farm -> Remote PCs in the RAS Console. Both VDI and RD Session Hosts under Farm have their own sessions tab, why not display sessions for Remote PCs?

2. Alexey Kutuzov

Alexey Kutuzov Parallels Team

Hi Michael,
    You can try Remote PC over VDI (pools) - it allows you to have Sessions tab in VDI and supports PowerShell (also often requested for Remote PC).
    Briefly, you create VDI provider of Remote PC type and Static subtype and provision it using csv (Name/IP,MAC address) or or one by one.
    CSV content example:
    RPC01,00-00-00-00-FF-FF
    RPC02,00-00-00-FF-FF-FF
    RPC03,00-00-FF-FF-FF-FF

3. MichaelD52

MichaelD52 Bit poster

Does this apply to a non-VDI Remote PC deployment though? Many of our users have desktop PCs in our office, but due to COVID they have been working from home a lot. I installed the Remote PC Agent on their PCs and published their PC out to them. There is a 1:1 mapping of user to PC, this will never change because it is *their* and no one else has any business logging into it. These Remote PCs are physical machines specific to a certain user, so I'm not sure a "Pool" would be appropriate here.

4. Alexey Kutuzov

Alexey Kutuzov Parallels Team

Certainly, you can use physical PCs in pool as far as pools were implemented to support blade pcs. Although pools require remote pcs be domain-joined.
    Pooled Remote PCs have persistence - you can pre-assign users even before their first logon.
    The difference between Remote PC and Remote PC over VDI (pool) is that you can publish Desktop from pool (single publishing item) and assign desktops in advance or on the first user logon. The benefits mentioned above are session management and PowerShell.