Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Apple has spoiled us with seamless upgrades (for the most part). This Windows 10 -> 11 seems so rough around the edges.

2. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

I am glad you got it working. So far it seems to be working on my x86 VM. I don't know why it is complaining for me. I'll keep looking.

3. CarlosR29

CarlosR29 Member

Installing from WU. Captura de pantalla 2021-06-28 a las 20.55.53.png

4. ErikR4

ErikR4 Member

Installed and working well so far. I have it on both Windows ARM and Windows x86 in VM's.

5. CarlosR29

CarlosR29 Member

WooooW!!!

Attached Files:

6. AlasdairS1

AlasdairS1 Bit poster

Also working for me :) I was already an Insider running a dev build on the M1 - sadly for anyone new, you can't join now as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Hopefully Parallels will fix this sooner rather than later.
    Apple_M1_Win11_Screenshot.png

CarlosR29 and AlexeyY1 like this.
  7. tdtd

tdtd Bit poster

Had the same error, did a full Disk Cleanup and restarted, and now it's installing

8. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

I may have been one of the unfortunate ones to have clicked installed a bit early. It magically worked this time. May be the <10 min builds had a flaw :rolleyes:

9. tomadimitrie

tomadimitrie Bit poster

For those who can't change the Insider channel - I got it to work by changing with regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability
    BranchName = Dev

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\UI\Selection
    UIBranch = Dev

Restart and check for updates :)

mafoe and YunW4 like this.
  10. tomadimitrie

tomadimitrie Bit poster

Well actually it stops at 8% complaining about TPM... but it's a start

11. LouieT

LouieT Bit poster

On my M1 MacBook Air, there was a TPM error. Tried again the second time and it just proceeded and installed just fine. So far so good!

12. cellsheet

cellsheet Bit poster

Unfortunately after a fresh download of the VHDX and Parallels 16.5, it's giving me the same Your PC does not meet the minimum hardware requirements message much like in the TPM thread. I'll be looking for any updates from Microsoft and/or Parallels for fixes.

13. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

Windows 11 update was available to me this morning. I was surprised as when I checked the day before under the Windows Insider settings it said my system did not meet the minimum standard for Windows 11. Well anyway I pressed the install button this morning (after I created a backup image), and the install worked perfectly. Parallels tools installed fine, reboots were quick, system seems snappy and responsive. Coherence works well (moved task bar to left and shrunk dock). Office 365 opens, store opens etc. A lot better experience when compared to the 6 months ago when the M1 was first introduced.

AndreasN10 likes this.
  14. cellsheet

cellsheet Bit poster

I also got hit at the 8% mark, but unfortunately re-attempting did not solve the issue for me. According to the note in https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702

:confused:

15. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

Interesting my virtual machine upgraded from 10 to 11 without problems. I check the configuration of the VM and there is no option to add a TPM chip. Either way things are working fine without it at present.

16. SamiT

SamiT Bit poster

I had the 8% problem too and I found a very... Cryptic workaround haha.
    I downloaded the latest Windows 11 insider preview from UUPDUMP, let the download script do its magic.
    Then I extracted the ISO and copied it over to the C:/ drive in my existing windows 10 on ARM installation.
    Then I followed this video:
    And finally, I opened setup.exe and it just worked !

17. OlegasR

OlegasR Bit poster

Try restarting Windows. After restart update went fine without TPM 2.0 warning.

18. FouadB

FouadB Bit poster

I can confirm shutting it down and turn it on again worked for me

19. za0-

za0- Bit poster

Thanks for sharing this! Previously I also got the error at 8%. Inspired by that YouTube video I tried just closing the automatic installer triggered by Windows Update when it gave the error, then followed the instructions in the video and copied in the patched DLL file. Then I went back to Windows Update, told it to 'Fix Issues' and it looks to be installing fine! (Currently at 41%)

Nosix likes this.
  20. cellsheet

cellsheet Bit poster

Unfortunately didn't work for me still, but I can wait until it moves into the other channels. :)