Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ae6dx, Jun 25, 2021.

1. ae6dx

ae6dx Hunter

When the Windows 11 insider preview comes out can I install it in a new VM? How? So as to leave my working Windows 10 VM untouched.

2. homtaka

homtaka Bit poster

My MAC is iMAC 2019 with 3G Corei5 and Radeon Pro 570X. Parallels is 16. I tried to confirm if my iMAC can run Windows 11 by Windows Health Check today. The answer is "it doesn't meet the requirement". I think the problem comes from Direct X 12.0 driver. dxdiag says the driver model of Direct X is WDDM 1.2. Since Win11 needs WDDM 2.0, we need to wait update of Parallels for Win11.

3. PawelB4

PawelB4 Bit poster

When I run PC Health it says nope, PC must support Secure Boot. I'm running W10 on Parallels 16.5.0 on Early 2015 MacBook (3.1GHz i7, 16GB memory, 512GB SSD)

4. Rickfdez

Rickfdez Bit poster

I'm trying to make sure my VM is ready for Windows 11 but when I run PC Health it says my Windows doesn't have secure boot enabled. But I've followed the instructions elsewhere here (add "vm.efi.secureboot = 1" to the Boot flags under Advanced Settings) and then restart, and I still get the same error from PC Health. Anyone know how to fix this? secureboot.png

5. RobertC35

RobertC35 Bit poster

Hi!

There's a few things you can do. First would be to back up the Parallels VM's files and when you're done playing, copy them back and you'll be back to where you were.
    Another way would be to take a Snapshot, upgrade to Win11, do your thing until you want to go back, then revert to your snapshot. (of course, anything new since Win11 wont be there...)
    And the third and probably best way, because you can still work with both, is to set up a new instance of Win10, then do an upgrade on it.

And yes, the TPM requirement is not there for the insider builds, so you can upgrade to Win11 in a VM.

6. ae6dx

ae6dx Hunter

How do I set up a new instance of win 10?

7. DereckB1

DereckB1 Bit poster

I have Windows 11 running now via the Insider Preview channel. You dont need a TPM chip yet. It runs as poorly now as my Win10 install previously. Memory going up to 100% or close to it. Cant see where this is coming from.

8. StevenT10

StevenT10 Bit poster

Installed Windows 11 but feels like its a Windows 10 with only few changes.

9. JohnW66

JohnW66 Bit poster

Ran across another thread which told me to add TPM support by opening my Hardware Configuration settings, clicking the + button at the bottom and adding the
    TPM chip/module. Doing so automatically modifies the Boot Order setting in this same area by setting "Advanced Settings" Boot Flags: to vm.efi.secureboot = 1
    Did this, restarted the VM and now the PC Health Check says my VM is ready for Windows 11.

upload_2021-7-2_11-16-45.png

10. BFranks

BFranks Bit poster

That worked a treat, Windows 11 Pro is running nicely in a Parallels VM on my M1 MacBook Air :)

11. HesselS

HesselS Bit poster

I don't either.. I have the latest version installed on my M1..

@JohnW66 What version of Parallels are you on? The subscription or the Pro version?

12. ScottH21

ScottH21 Bit poster

13. RuhulA1

RuhulA1 Bit poster

Hey!
    And yes, the TPM requirement is not there for the insider builds, so you can upgrade to Win11 in a VM. I also suffer that.:)