Monterey Developer Preview

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by karlemilnikka, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Sven G

Sven G Member

2. LANCEM631

LANCEM631 Bit poster

I successfully installed macOS 12 Beta on a 2015 MBA running v16.5. Followed Kurt Schmucker's blog instructions about doing this from within a Big Sur virtual machine. My initial stumbling block was not understanding this process can only be done on Intel chipset. Had myself convinced since macOS Monterey is designed for Apple M1 silicon, then I would use my newer M1 MBA to first create a Big Sur VM with Parallels v16.5. Nothing in the blog post I can find clarifies the recommended process is limited to Intel machines. My install time was more like 3 - 4 hrs.

3. johne12

johne12 Bit poster

Did your settings and it booted ok.

4. imam

imam Bit poster

Hi, greetings from Bali Indonesia. I just upgraded monterey on existing SSD, MBA i5 8GB 256GB, not on VM. and my Parallel 16 won't open. Downgrade to big sur also mean I have to erase and clean install my existing ssd with big sur which I don't intended to do. Any clue how to to get back to big sur in most secure possible way? thank you.

5. Hello,
    we would like to inform you that Parallels Engineering team is testing Parallels Desktop for Mac and other products with macOS Monterey Beta to ensure full support of macOS Monterey as soon as it is released.
    Also could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here please?
    Looking forward to your reply.

imam likes this.
  6. imam

imam Bit poster

ah yes guess I must've skipped to read your message: if this critical, don't upgrade to Monterey yet :). Will do the reports ID.

7. JulsS

JulsS Member

I was able to upgrade an existing BigSur Guest VM from my MacBook Pro host (Intel) using Desktop 16.5. At first, the upgrade failed and I was stuck in a black screen. I shut the VM down and made the following modification to the video setting (thanks @Gimbal for posting this):

Find the VM file (.pvm) in your Parallels folder (usually in your User folder):
    - Right-click on the .pvm file
    - Choose "Show Package Contents"
    - Open the "Config.pvs" file in TextEdit
    - Locate the following strings (in my file, around line 454-456):
    <Video VideoMemorySize_patch="1" dyn_lists="">
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Type>2</Type>
    ... change the "Type" value from 2 to 0 (zero), save and close the file, and close the Finder window to get out of Package Contents.

Once the upgrade completes and Parallels Tools are installed, then shut down the VM, and change the "Type" back to 2 from zero (so that video in the VM will perform properly).

Juls

WildCat29 likes this.
  8. MicheleG1

MicheleG1 Junior Member

My main OS is macOS Big Sur 11.4.1
    I've installed a copy of it in a VM with Parallels 16.5 then enrolled that as beta tester & upgraded to Monterey.
    Installed Developer Beta 2 but it hang in the last part when already loading system towards the login. Restarted it and now it doesn't recognise any form of keyboard input, neither from the internal MBP keyboard nor from the Bluetooth Magic Keyboard.
    What can I do to login? I am completely stuck right now.

9. stuartf

stuartf Member

I also have this issue

10. stuartf

stuartf Member

I'm going to try upgrading from a 11.4 VM with Screen sharing, auto user login and ssh enabled to see if this can find a way past the login screen keyboard issue

11. MicheleG1

MicheleG1 Junior Member

Are you able to do this from the stuck VM or are you erasing it, recreating a new one with 11.4 & then upgrading again?
    How do you enable auto user login?
    Why would you use Screen sharing?
    No idea what ssh enabled is so too complex for me :)
    Sorry for the question bombardment!

12. stuartf

stuartf Member

My test was not successful. I was able to bypass the login screen and get mouse access. Unfortunately there appears to be no keyboard device added. I tried manually added a wired keyboard and mouse. It said they were attached to the VM but still no keyboard input available. Keyboard input was also unavailable when accessing the VM with Screen Sharing

13. ThomasB62

ThomasB62 Bit poster

I also could not get the keyboard working in a monterey vm. Technical report ID:

14. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

I've successfully installed OS12 in a VM on Big Sur. Followed the instructions to first create an OS11 VM, then upgrade to the beta. Worked, although it did hang on the last part of the install boot up and had to kill it and restart. But it works now, mostly (see the usb problem below).

MAJOR ISSUE: Cannot connect a USB drive no matter what I do. Have gone through all the Parallels troubleshooting tips. Parallels shows (notification) that the drive has connected to the VM, but it never shows in the Finder or Disk Utility. Tried a couple different USB drives, tried HFS and APFS, tried direct (iMac) instead of hub. Restarted the VM a bunch of times. Have turned off the config/USB 3.0 and back on, then off again.

I have USB drives that connect just fine in my Sierra VM, so not sure why I cannot get a usb drive to connect to the new OS12 VM. Any ideas appreciated!

15. WildCat29

WildCat29 Bit poster

Thank you!!! You're my life&money saver! I filed support ticket and they only told me to upgrade the system from Big Sur, which does not help at all!

16. stuartf

stuartf Member

See login options to enable auto login: Not available if your disk is encrypted
    Screen sharing to try access from another computer. To try and prove if it was a general keyboard input issue, bluetooth or USB parallels issue

17. PaulN9

PaulN9 Bit poster

I have the same issue as well. I've managed to get it going a few times, but it's totally sporadic, works sometimes and other times not. The way I got it to work "sometimes" was to go shutdown the VM > Configurations > Mouse & Keyboards > Changed Keyboard Optimized For Games > Start VM, which resulted with the keyboard not working > Changed it back to "Auto-detect for Games".... and boom it worked. But again, once you shut it down, and go through the same process, it doesn't always work. It's more of a pain starting it, shutting it down, starting it back up, and making the changes, and going back and forth until it finally works.

Perhaps the trick until Parallels releases a version compatible with Monterey, is to simply leave it up and running and tie up your memory, once you have it working.

18. MicheleG1

MicheleG1 Junior Member

Where can I set up "Login Options" for just this VM?

19. MicheleG1

MicheleG1 Junior Member

No luck here...
    Any keyboard option is stuck ... now I wonder how I can roll back the VM to macOS 11.4. Is that possible? If so, how?

20. PaulN9

PaulN9 Bit poster