Windows 10 Insider Preview now Upgrades to Windows 11 Insider Preview

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by LeeR6, Jul 9, 2021.

?

Are you upgraded to Windows 11 Insider's Preview?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

8.3%
  3. No, but will upgrade soon

8.3%
  1. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

Today, I did a Windows update from Windows 10 Insider Preview and it first came up with software to detect my hardware to ensure it was compatible. It failed due to TPM 2.0, so I closed out, rebooted and did a Windows update again. This time, it downloaded, popped up a box that asked me not to close it for two minutes, and after that, began to download Windows 11 and did the update and now I am using Windows 11 without any issues.

If you are having issues, just reboot and repeat and your Windows 10 will upgrade to Windows 11

I am overly impressed with stability and speed.
    I am using a MacBook Air, 1TB SSD and 16gb Memory running three VM's at a time.

I encourage everyone to do the upgrade. It was a very quick process for me and didn't take much time to upgrade all three VM's.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
    Update 21H2
    Installed on ‎7/‎9/‎2021
    OS build 22000.65
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 421.17400.45.3

2. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

What did you re-boot? Windows, Parallels or the whole Mac? I rebooted Windows and Parallels, and get the same issue that I don't support TPM 2.0, so I'm getting nowhere.

3. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

What computer are you using?
    When I rebooted... it was only the VM that was rebooted and nothing else. The second windows update, it flashed three command screens and then proceeded to do the update with a message for me to keep the window open for two minutes.

4. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

I'm running the new M1 iMac, similarly equipped to your MacBook Air, but only a single VM. Every time I try the download W11 it says there are issues, and when I go to fix them I get the message that this PC can't run Windows 11 and that it must support TPM 2.0. I infer that TPM 2.0 is some sort of hardware gizmo that adds security, and that I probably don't have one. Do you?

5. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

Macs don't have TPM 2.0 and it was alleged that Parallels was going to simulate that or do something as a workaround. I had assumed that I wouldn't see Windows 11 on my MacBook Air for nearly a year, but surprised that it worked for me. None of us has TPM 2.0 and Apple doesn't provide us a BIOS to implement it. They have their own Security Chip.

I don't know what is different on mine than yours.

What do you do when you try to "fix" the issues? I saw that, but ignored the "fix the issues" and just went for the kill with a reboot and another Windows Update.

6. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

I ask for the update download from the Insider page, and that takes me to the Windows Update page inside W10 ARM 64. It states that the download (10.0.22000.65) is pending, but there is a problem with this update, and provides a handy button to click to resolve. If I don't, it just stays there forever; if I do I get the message that I need TPM 2.0.

I tried ignoring the "Fix" invitation and rebooting, but that just takes me back to the same place. So there's something different between our machines, but if Parallels was thinking about a workaround it suggests that there is a general problem. You may have just got lucky.

Is there a W10ARM update anywhere - the Insider page only offers W11? Not that I particularly need W11 except for the PrintNightmare fix.

7. PBear.SF

PBear.SF Bit poster

TPM 2.0 is not (at least, not supposed to be) a requirement for Windows 11 Insider Preview; the new hardware requirements are only supposed to apply to the eventual official release version of Windows 11. The Windows 11 Insider Preview / Beta is supposed to run on any machine that can run Windows 10.

I booted my Win10 21H1 VM in Parallels last week, checked Settings/Windows Update page (did not go to Insider Preview page) and saw an Insider Preview update was ready to be installed. After installation and reboot, I was running Windows 11 in Parallels VM. No glitches or errors. Using a 2020 M1 Mac mini.

8. PBear.SF

PBear.SF Bit poster

All I rebooted was the Windows virtual machine inside Parallels Desktop after performing the Windows Update.

Riti likes this.
  9. Steve10

Steve10 Bit poster

I too am running Windows 11 on my M1 Mac mini without any problems since my original install on the 30th June. The only issue I had was I needed to allocate at least 4GB of RAM and pointed out that I didn't have TPM 2.0. All I did was increase my RAM allocation to 4GB and it installed without any issues.