Monterey Developer Preview

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by karlemilnikka, Jun 8, 2021.

1. MicheleG1

MicheleG1 Junior Member

Macos
    macOS Monterey is not yet available as a separate installer, only through system update by enrolling a system to the beta program. I had no problem installing Big Sur, but upgrading that VM to Monterey beta2. No issue with beta1.

2. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

I couldn't get the keyboard to work in Monterey Beta 2. I just updated to Monterey Beta 3, it didn't cure the keyboard issue. Patience grasshopper, patience...

3. MicheleG1

MicheleG1 Junior Member

... then wait we shall!
    Very interesting that in beta1 keyboard was working.

4. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

When starting up Betas 2 & 3 Monterey searched for a Bluetooth keyboard. This indicates that Monterey is not recognizing Parallel's keyboard. I tried reinstalling Parallels Tools, that didn't help.
    I tried using a second USB keyboard and connecting it to the VM, that didn't work. I tried connecting a second Bluetooth keyboard to the VM, that didn't work.
    When in Big Sur I enabled Remote Desktop, so I can control Monterey until we get a fix.

5. JulsS

JulsS Member

Same bug present in Desktop 16.5.1 and Monterey public beta 3. Still need to change the video setting in the config file for the upgrade to complete.
    juls

6. SanjidaT

SanjidaT Bit poster

Same result here.
    HaraldSt, are you running the current version of Parallels?

<ahref="https://talkwithstranger.com>talkwithstranger</a>

7. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Finally received a fix from Parallels Support, and it worked. Had to edit a Library/Pref as per this article: https://kb.parallels.com/122204

8. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Just playing with the OS12 installation and seems to be working fine. BTW, keyboard has been working fine, so not sure about the reported problems.
    Do have the typical weird erratic scrolling as with all other Parallels VMs. Really wish they could fix that as it is a major problem trying to use any of my VMs.

9. imam

imam Bit poster

How you done it? please share. thx

10. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

Just installed Parallels 17 and updated Tools in Monterey. The good news: the keyboard is working. The bad news: the display is stuck at 1024x768 and won't resize. I tried reinstalling Tools, that didn't cure it. I increased the Graphics memory to 1GB, that didn't cure it. I'll investigate...

imam likes this.
  11. imam

imam Bit poster

i have PD 16 on monterey and won't open. i f I installed PD17 does it mean I have to reinstall win7 in PD 17 or I can reach my Old windows in PD 16? thx.

12. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

My advise: DO NOT UPGRADE to 17 for any critical work. Wait until Parallels fixes this display problem.

I booted macOS Big Sur and Ubuntu in Parallels 17. Big Sur ran fine. Ubuntu has the same issue as Monterey: the display is limited to 1024x768. So 2 out of my 3 VMs are useless in Parallels 17. Not a big deal for me right now.
    Parallels 17 will overwrite 16. I don't think you'll need to reinstall Win 7. But it may have the display issue...

imam likes this.
  13. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

Today's Monterey Beta 5 cured the problem in Monterey. It's still there in Ubuntu though.

14. imam

imam Bit poster

Hi Sam, thx for the advice. I try free trial PD 17 and works fine in monterey as a host. coherence and full is ok. thx again. once more: how to open JAR apps on monterey? can you show me how?

Attached Files:

15. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

Imam: Oracle says Java works in macOS 10.7 (Lion) and newer. I stopped using Java back in Mojave so I have no idea if it works in anything newer.

I hope your Monterey host is not you main Mac. It's always best to beta test on a second Mac that won't be a major impact if it gets messed up.

imam likes this.
  16. imam

imam Bit poster

unfortunately I only got one mac. I'll take the chance. thx for your nice words. GBU.

17. JulsS

JulsS Member

It is beyond irritating that using Parallels Desktop 17, I continue to have to change the video settings in the config file in order to apply Monterey updates. This was broken in PD16 and Big Sur. When is a fix coming for this bug that has existed for over a year?

juls

18. SeanBB

SeanBB Member

They only support macOS 11 -> macOS 12, not macOS 12 -> macOS 12 it just hangs on a blank screen.

19. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Dock stopped working again! Dang! 2nd time this has happened and I can't for the life of me remember how to get the Dock to work again. Worked fine for a while, then it won't launch anything or respond to right clicks. Have restarted and shut down/restarted several times, including restarting Parallels. Ran Disk First Aid. Nothing seems to be fixing it. Perhaps the upcoming new beta update might clear it up. Might have been what fixed it last time this happened.
    As a side note, Dock still works fine in my Sierra VM.

20. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Just updated to the beta 6. I did not see availability of the new version, so had to delete the beta profile (from the update pane), then reinstall the beta program profile, which then allowed me to download the newest beta. As with past betas in a VM, it did not complete the reboot following the install. I had to use the Stop, then restart the VM to complete the install. Don't know if that issue was solved in Parallels 17 or not.