Age of Empires 2 DE via Steam on M1 iMac?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Erwinv2, Jun 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Erwinv2

Erwinv2 Bit poster

Hey there,
    Got my new M1 iMac, rushed to buy Parallels yesterday, even managed to install the Windows 10 Arm Insider Edition, downloaded Steam, and fired up Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, my favorite game of all time. I saw the opening sequence, I couldn't be happier. But then things started falling apart. Sound through Bluetooth failed, AoE screen went black (I still saw the spearpoint cursor though) and CPU maxed out...

Does anybody have some pointers to tweak setting in either Parallels, Windows 10 ARM or Steam. Much obliged!

-Erwin

2. Erwinv2

Erwinv2 Bit poster

Thanks Michael! I have 16 gb in total on my iMac. I'll go ahead and try what you suggest this weekend.

3. Erwinv2

Erwinv2 Bit poster

Not exactly sure what did the trick but I got everything working. Wohoo!

4. AnthonyG9

AnthonyG9 Bit poster

Care to share what you did? I'm running Win10 in Games -only mode, and the farthest I can get with AoE2 is a black screen followed by crash to desktop. I have half the ram set and 4 cores.
    Did you change anything in the emulation settings?
    I have only gotten slightly farther with AoE 1, but here it plays a stuttery opening sequence and then crashes to desktop almost immediately, Both of these games ran just fine on my late 2012 iMac, even though Wind10 itself was slower than molasses. I'm sure the ARM architecture has something to do with them not working now, but if other people can get at least AoE 2 to run, then I have to think there's a setting that I'm missing.

5. Erwinv2

Erwinv2 Bit poster