No right option (AltGr) key

Discussion in 'Parallels Access and Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ThomasR13, Sep 20, 2020.

1. ThomasR13

ThomasR13 Junior Member

When Parallels Access is used in combination with Parallels Desktop, a big problem is that iOS only seems to know the left option key. For instance, pressing the right option key on the Magic Keyboard seems behave as the left option key would when using Parallels Desktop directly with a Mac. However, at least on a German keyboard layout in the VM, the right option key is mapped to AltGr, which allows to access characters such as []|{}\@µ~ etc, while the left option key is basically useless. So with Parallels Access, many important characters cannot be created anymore in a VM.
    In general, I would prefer an option in Parallels Desktop that lets both option keys function as the right option key, because the left one is rarely needed. It is quite confusing that characters that can be created on macOS using the left option key require the right one when using Parallels Desktop. It is also a little bit strange that Parallels Desktop distinguishes between a left and a right option key, but they cannot be addressed separately when defining keyboard shortcuts.

2. Hello, did you test the same behavior without Parallels Desktop, just with Parallels Access?
    Does the issue reoccurs when your using only Parallels Access?

3. ThomasR13

ThomasR13 Junior Member

No. macOS does not care whether you use the left or the right option key. Only Parallels Desktop does.

4. JavierB2

JavierB2 Junior Member

I have the same problem when accesing a parallels desktop windows VM in my mac from my iPad Pro using the magic keyboard ¿Any solution?