Access laptop with closed lid

Discussion in 'Accessing your PC' started by Parallels User, May 27, 2021.

1. Hi, I'm currently using the trial version of parallels access to see if I like it. There's one major problem I ran into. I have my windows 10 laptop set to stay on when the lid is closed so I can still access it through remote desktop any time I want. Parallels just shows a blank screen when the lid is closed. Is there any solution to this?

2. JefferJ

JefferJ Bit poster

If you are using windows 10 then go to power settings and there you will see a set of what to do when led is close. By default, it is selected to sleep. Choose Do nothing and it will solve your problem.

3. I did that and it still didn't work. It seemed it needed to have an active display. I gave up on it for various reasons. It just didn't work very well compared to other option.

4. RichardC35

RichardC35 Bit poster

This has worked well until we added a new laptop. With the new laptop, even though the power setting for do nothing when lid is closed is set.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2021
  5. Andreap10

Andreap10 Bit poster

Hi
    Open the Start menu and search for Control Panel. Navigate to Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does. You can also type "Lid" into the Start menu to immediately find this menu.

6. ChrisA23

ChrisA23 Bit poster

My laptop is set to "Do Nothing" when the lid is closed. The laptop is also set to not go to sleep or hibernate. When accessing that laptop using a remote browser, the screen is blank after logging in. Opening the laptop lid on the laptop that I am remoting into solves the problem. I have tried this with Chrome and Edge. Closing the laptop once a successful connection is made works fine - the screen is still visible remotely. Windows 10 on both computers.

7. ParallelsU1076

ParallelsU1076 Bit poster

I know this is an old post but I have the same issue as listed above my laptop lid is closed ( laptop is not hibernating ) and a connection is made to my laptop so we know the application is active and it is not sleeping however the screen remains black until I open the lid. Any suggestions

8. RoundaboutSkid

RoundaboutSkid Bit poster

I have the same situation. It seems the computer must be connected to a screen to work.

I have a PC and a Mac Mini connected through a KVM switch. Whatever computer is selected I can remotely connect to, the other I cannot. If I switch active computer then the one I could not connect to is available, and the other is not.

The result is seen as a black screen if I connect through a browser, and on my phone I can connect, but as soon as I choose an app on the computer, the screen on the phone goes black with a "working on it" circle rotating indefinitely.