Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. ParallelsU626

ParallelsU626 Junior Member

I think it depends on how old your Windows 10 image is and if you were a member of Insiders before a certain date. If you create a new Windows 10 ARM64 VM and try to update to Windows 11, you'll get the TPM error. Messing around with ISO files is your only chance, until Parallels bring out TPM2.0 emulation.

2. PeterL39

PeterL39 Bit poster

I've been testing Windows 10 ARM for a few months, updating it several times.

3. DannyR4

DannyR4 Bit poster

Anybody having trackpad issues when running windows 11? My trackpad is pretty much limited to point and click- can't scroll at all. Looking at the settings in windows, there is no trackpad options- only mouse. Didn't have any of these issues with windows 10. Anyone have any tips?
    Thanks!

4. PaulC47

PaulC47 Bit poster

When I run "setup.exe" inside the ISO folder, the installation begins but then ask me for the "product key".....

5. PaulW17

PaulW17 Bit poster

Just got the Windows 11 update on my M1 MBP running Monterey. So far so good. Both MacOS dev beta and Win 11 beta are running with Parallels perfectly. It is running the Win 11 beta better than my Razer Blade Advanced 15 (2021) did on bare metal... less buggy at least (Win 11 sucks at Thunderbolt currently).

6. TimmyW1

TimmyW1 Junior Member

uupdump.net is your friend

7. PeterL39

PeterL39 Bit poster

Finally found a way to use the M1 MBA's trackpad to do something other than point and click. It worked scrolling when in Settings looking for information on mouse settings. If you have a built-in trackpad, I would think Parallels would need to include drivers for that in their Tools installation. I checked Parallels settings and they don't mention anything about a trackpad either so I assume (bad idea) normal built-in trackpad use is built into Parallels but not necessarily external trackpads. I'd contact Parallels service directly on how they handle trackpads. Not sure how much they read these forums.

8. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

You can set the preferences for the dock alignment and other things to look more like Win 10.

9. DannyR4

DannyR4 Bit poster

I installed the Monterey beta today and for some reason, the trackpad works on parallels now. No idea if they are related or not. There is still no trackpad setting on the options in my windows 11... not going to mess with it anymore.

10. russell2

russell2 Bit poster

Great solution, took a little while to download the UUPDump ISO, also found it impossible to locate the appraiserres.dll on my existing Win 10 ARM installation so I downloaded from the Youtube link where there is a very useful video on installing Win11 in this exact way. Now running smoothly on parallels on MBP M1.

11. RobertoA

RobertoA Bit poster

Also the UUPDump ISO failed on my computer. During the installation, after a couple of reboots, some error occurred (no idea which error) and the system was reverted to windows 10 ("undoing the changes to your computer" and then reboot to last checkpoint).

12. BobW11

BobW11 Member

Had to recreate my VM due to a MBP repair but can't install Win11 any more. Anyone able to do so now?

13. ManuelQ1

ManuelQ1 Bit poster

Has anyone been able to "switch" from Dev Channel to Beta Channel in your Windows Insider Program options under Windows Update?
    I only have the Dev Channel option available, other two are greyed out.
    Not sure if this is because the Beta Channel is still not available for ARM or due to failing any minimum hardware requirements check.

14. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

I also hope so, because the next build in the dev channel will be build 22040 (build beyond the release branch) and and once this build is received and installed, it will be impossible to revert to a stable build without reinstalling.

SamS4, ManuelQ1 and MichaelH63 like this.
  15. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Temporary workaround: You can use the following script to select any Inisider Preview channel. I used it and switched to beta channel in Windows 11. I'm not sure that new beta channel builds can be installed due to lack of TPM support, but at least, if you will switch now, you won't get new unstable dev channel builds.

Download link: OfflineInsiderEnroll (github.com)

OfflineInsiderEnroll
    --------------------

### Description
    OfflineInsiderEnroll is a simple Windows Command Prompt script to enable access
    to the Windows Insider Program on machines not signed in with Microsoft Account.

This script is compatible only with Windows 10 RS5 and later.

### Usage
    This script requires administrative priviliges to run. You can simply execute it
    by right clicking it > `Run as Administrator`.

#### Installation and configuration changes
    After starting the script offers selection of *Windows Insider Program* channels.
    To make a selection, press a letter coresponding to option you choose and press
    ENTER.

If the machine was not enrolled to the Insider Program, you will get prompted to
    restart your machine to enable *Microsoft Flight Signing* which is required by
    *Windows Insider Program*.

**Notice:** Windows Insider Program requires telemetry to be set to *Full*.
    After enrolling your machine to the *Windows Insider Program* please make sure
    that your diagnostic data collection settings are set to *Full*. Some *Insider
    Preview* builds may not get offered in *Windows Update* if you do not have
    correct telemetry settings. You can verify or modify your telemetry settings in
    *Settings* > *Privacy* > *Diagnostics & feedback*.

#### Restoring Windows Insider Program to default options
    To restore *Windows Insider Program* to default settings simply choose `Stop
    receiving Insider Preview builds` in OfflineInsiderEnroll. You will get prompted
    to reboot, because this option will disable *Microsoft Flight Signing*.

### How does this work?
    This script takes advantage of undocumented `TestFlags` registry value.
    If this value is set to `0x20`, all access to online *Windows Insider* services
    gets disabled. Because of this, we can set our own *Windows Insider Preview*
    configuration without being overriden by the contact to the service. Since
    Windows Update does not check if machine is actually enrolled to the program,
    you will get offered *Insider Preview* builds by just setting correct values in
    the registry.

Lutz-R.F, LukeD3, SamS4 and 2 others like this.
  16. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

It's not even necessary: if beta channel was selected in the script, the system will receive all beta builds via Windows Update. (or for any other selected channel). But of course, the new beta builds cannot be installed without TPM support in Parallels. So we stucked for build 22000.100 for a while ;)

17. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Thanks @AlexeyY1 for this handy script.

What a mess with these updates. Microsoft just can't keep it simple can they?

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  18. BobW11

BobW11 Member

I'm more concerned when they move to release and cut off insider builds. The only real solution is support for a retail Win 10 ARM or TPM support for insider Win 11.

19. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

My hunch says there will be backlash and they (MSFT) will need to give in a bit. This TPM support more than anything is very annoying.

SamS4 likes this.
  20. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Yeah. Actually, even this spring new Windows 10 release was on the way, with new cute "glass Aero" live tiles. But suddenly, everything was cancelled and Windows 11 appeared (with a very bad copy of MacOS dock, as for me). Almost everybody is still shocked, especially about TPM. ;)

Attached Files:

SamS4 likes this.