Need help installing Parallels Tool on Kali

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AirMonk, Oct 18, 2020.

1. AirMonk

AirMonk Bit poster

Hi guys,
    I've installed Kali Linux on my MacBook Pro 13" 2020 running Parallels Version 16.0.1 (48919) but I'm running problem installing Parallels Tool (linux-headers not found), can you please help me?

In attach the error screenshot.
    Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 18.31.54.png

2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

I think you would get much more help if you ask your question in Kali Linux forums, e.g. https://forums.kali.org/ . Once you satisfy the dependency (in this case missing package dependency) it should work.

3. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

@AirMonk I have put as much time into getting Kali to work correctly with Parallels as just about anyone (including opening multiple tickets over multiple major versions and giving Parallels more than enough diagnostic data to fix their problems), and it is possible to get it "mostly" working if you're willing to put in a lot of work. Ultimately, for most people I don't think it's worth it because in the end of all that work that Parallels should have done for you, there will still be minor annoyances left over.

Parallels is simply not that invested or interested in getting Linux to work right with their product. It's unfortunate, but true. And too bad for them, because Kali works flawlessly with their main competitor's product, which I am now using. Save yourself the trouble and make the move, would be my advice.

4. MarkusF4

MarkusF4 Bit poster

For those having trouble installing PT on Kali you can give ParrotOS Security 4.10 a try (Parrot Security MATE ISO (default)).
    I have tested latest Parallels 16.1.0 on 4.10 with no issues on my MacBook Pro 16".
    To install PT you can simply follow the KB lower down for Kali but with some adjustments to the process:
    I have installed ParrotOS with 63.7GB ext4 + 5GB swap partition style (done via the manual partitioning option).
    run a full upgrade if you have a fresh ParrotOS 4.10 build installed:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade -y
    sudo apt dist-upgrade
    sudo apt autoclean
    sudo apt autoremove -y

restart the system
    uname -r
    5.8.0-2parrot1-amd64

lsb_release -a
    Description: Parrot GNU/Linux 4.10

having current kernel installed we can now install PT
    mount the PT tools ISO with the existing function via the VM menu

sudo apt install dkms kpartx printer-driver-postscript-hp checkpolicy libelf-dev
    sudo mkdir /media/pt
    mkdir /home/<your userID>/Desktop/pt
    sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/pt
    cp -r /media/pt/ /home/<your userID>/Desktop/pt
    cd /home/<your userID>/Desktop/pt/pt/
    sudo ./install

after completion you will be enforced to restart your system
    you now could remove the pt folder stored on your desktop (rm -rf /home/<your userID>/Desktop/pt/)

Kali 2020.3 (current with XFCE) still has some issues with PT tools (white screen after sign-in).

For me it doesn't make any sense to use the older Kali 2020.2 which seems to be officially supported by Parallels since if you follow the Parallels KB article to install PT on Kali you will get the latest version anyway (https://kb.parallels.com/123968) which is not officially supported ;-)

5. BallO

BallO Hunter

If anyone has gotten Parallels Tools to work with Parrot OS that'll be news to me.

6. MarkusF4

MarkusF4 Bit poster

@BallO
    if may not noticed this was back in 10/2020 using ParrotOS 4.10 and yes, this was working well.

7. MarkusF4

MarkusF4 Bit poster

I did a quick cross check and I can confirm latest ParrotOS 4.11.2 does work within latest Parallels version.
    There is just one limitation using Mate desktop about automatic screen resolution handling but using the KDE edition does work well.
    I guess with some basic effort the Mate limitation can be fixed as well.

8. BallO

BallO Hunter

I don't know what you mean by "cross check", but Parrot OS is based on Debian 5.10 and I can't install Parallels Tools.

9. MarkusF4

MarkusF4 Bit poster

well, in this case it's your personal problem since I can install Parallels tools on latest ParrotOS Security tested on both editions (MacBook Pro 16" 2019).

Attached Files: