Partially SOLVED: Cannot connect external USB drives to macOS VMs

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Neilwhit, Jul 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Cannot connect any new USB drive to either macOS VM (Sierra and OS12) no matter what I do. Have gone through all the Parallels troubleshooting tips and Knowledgebase articles. Parallels displays a Mac notification that the drive has connected to the VM and it shows as connected in the USB dropdown list, but it never shows in the Finder or Disk Utility.

Parallels 16.5. Host OS Big Sur. Guest VMs: Sierra and OS12.

Tried 3 different USB drives, tried HFS and APFS formatting, tried direct USB connect to iMac instead of hub. Restarted the VM and Parallels a bunch of times. Have turned off the config/USB 3.0 and back on, then off again.

I have used a USB drive in my Sierra VM that still connects just fine , so not sure why I cannot get any new usb drive to connect to either VM.
    Have reported to Parallels [Parallels #2995110]

Sadly, I see quite a few other unresolved reports of the same issue. Parallels is not of much use if you cannot connect an external drive!

2. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Anyone? Filed a support ticket with Parallels on 8 JULY 21 and a week alter have heard absolutely nothing.

3. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Just installed the 16.5.1 update. Still cannot connect an external HD to my macOS VMs. And still have not heard anything from Parallels on my Support Ticket. Not very pleased with them at this point.

4. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Finally received something back from Parallels Support late last night (Pacific time) and it seems to have resolved the issue. Involved editing a Parallels pref file as per this KB article:
    https://kb.parallels.com/122204
    Drives are now mounting in Monterey.

5. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Found another issue. Using that now successfully mounted external HD for a Time Machine backup drive in a OS12 VM, once I disconnect, Suspend or Shutdown, can no longer mount that drive. Found I had to erase the drive to get it to mount again, thus making it useless for TM backups for that VM. Need that for beta testing purposes. Parallels report ID: 375922497

Attached Files: