Virtual TPM (Trusted Platform Module)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by StevenG2, May 11, 2017.

1. StevenG2

StevenG2 Bit poster

New security features in Windows require the use of a TPM (Trusted Platform Module). Microsofts own Hyper-V provides the ability to use a virtual TPM for this. Can this feature be added to Parallels?

2. TreyC

TreyC Bit poster

Yep, I agree. I'm doing product development and testing, and currently have to build a Hyper-V host with my Mac, and then create a fully capable client inside. This works, but is kludgy and uses a lot of memory and disk space to do. Here's hoping the Parallels team figures out how to make this happen!

3. StevenG2

StevenG2 Bit poster

4. JohnNash

JohnNash Member

Agree - need it.

5. NickCJ

NickCJ Bit poster

Definitely needed in a corporate environment

6. ParagM

ParagM Bit poster

I am wondering why Parallels does not support TPM, I have seen competitive products already support this feature

7. AndreE2

AndreE2

Agreed. I stick on VMware Fusion until Parallels support a Virtual TPM.
    In Corporate Windows environments, there is no way around it.

8. AndreE2

AndreE2

9. GernotR1

GernotR1 Bit poster

Agreed. No way around. We have to change to VMware Fusion

10. PaulG12

PaulG12 Bit poster

I would like to add my vote to this.

11. soloism1

soloism1 Bit poster

Hello,
    Agreed. I need it. No way around. We have to change to VMware Fusion.
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  12. EdgarS2

EdgarS2

Hello,

Agreed, need it for my corporate windows environment.

Thanks!

13. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi all,

Thank you for requesting this feature. vTPM module is implemented in Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac.
    More info is available here:
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702

14. Etienned1

Etienned1 Bit poster

It looks like TPM is now a minimum requirement for Windows 11. Is the Parallels team considering bringing vTPM functionality to the the Standard edition of Parallels?

PaulP24 likes this.
  15. PaulP24

PaulP24 Bit poster

Any idea when virtual TPM will be available for the M1 Mac?

16. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Hi Paul. This is the same issue with me. I've been running "Windows 11 Pro" through the Dev channel since it was autoupdated from my Windows 10 ARM license. I even purchased a Windows 10 Pro license back in early May so that I wasn't using an unlicensed demo copy and to support Microsoft for the few applications I have on Windows 10/11. It is running amazingly well and smooth on my Parallels 16.5.1 with the base 4 GB RAM, 256 GB storage, and 2 core 1.00 CPU. I never had any issues updating/upgrading from the Windows 10 ARM Pro license at all on my MBP M1 (16GB RAM, 512 GB HD). Today I was checking my settings as I thought everything was fine as I got no odd popups and decided to take a look at the "Insider Preview" setting. Lo and Behold, it told me that I didn't meet the minimum hardware requirements for "Windows 11" and would have to roll back to Windows 10 (which only worked as a Dev/Insider Preview ARM build to begin with). Reading through the MS site, I believe the factor it isn't officially supported is only because of the TPM 2.0 and inability to activate the virtual TPM on an M1 Mac vs an Intel. Like you, I'm hoping the next version of Parallels will allow this (or a version of 16? as I purchased Parallels specifically so I could run Windows on this M1 MBP). It is supported for Intel, but the KB says only for Intel at this time. Fingers crossed. Even better if I don't have to purchase Parallels again just for this one requirement. Otherwise, everything has been running VERY fast and smooth on this MBP M1. Heck, faster than my Windows PC.

17. blesio

blesio Bit poster

Just wanted to ask, how often Parallels staff responds in these forums? I haven't seen a lot of their activity, seems that when you buy their products you don't get much support...

18. Christian63

Christian63 Bit poster

If I install parallels 17 PRO (from bootcamp) will the vTPM work?

19. blesio

blesio Bit poster

Also, if it says that the standard version doesn't have TPM Support, and I see it has, I just bought the (non subscription version) Standard version, will Parallels take it away?

MikeG11 likes this.
  20. mmika

mmika Pro

No. It is not possible to add TPM to Bootcamp VM.