Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MitchB, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Raphael,

To analyze the issue we'd like to see the error message you get when CD-ROM mounting fails. Could you send the screenshot?

Best regards,
    Xenos

2. pr3ciousroy

pr3ciousroy Bit poster

Alright, where to begin...

DISCLAIMER: This is my 1st time ever touching anything Linux. I'd been wanting to try it and finally realized I could inside Parallels without forfeiting Windows or OSX.

As luck would have it, The Linux version I chose just happens to be the most difficult task to get running in Parallels....such is the story of my life, anyway.....

Took me like 6 tries w/ 6 different ISO's of Gutsy Gibbon, and I finally got it installed and working with the alternate CD.
    NOW....Here's my problem: It makes me re-install GG (install the entire OS over again) every single time I start Parallels back up again. Why is this happening?? I never had to re-install Windows XP everytime I opened Parallels, when I had it installed as a guest OS -just had to press the 'play' button to log back in.

What's the issue and how do I get GG to stay as I left it when I close Parallels?

3. Saiing

Saiing Junior Member

pr3ciousroy: To be honest, if this is your first time using Linux, I wouldn't worry about 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon). Perhaps get yourself a copy of 7.04 Feisty Fawn, and install that. The differences between the two versions to all intents and purposes aren't significant and 7.04 will install without a hitch. There will be more than enough to keep you busy for months, and you can upgrade to 7.10 when the Parallels developers get it sorted out.

4. dsmccrac

dsmccrac Member

Thanks Sydney, your suggestions and those of Xenos did the trick. I did not need to do the "Server Serviceflags" bussiness, I think, because as you suggested I made sure that the initial display settings were for my monitor. I had tried installing from the Alternate CD before but (thinking I was being clever and leaving room for the parallels window) I always was choosing a resoltion less than the native monitor!

Thanks...
    don

5. hellfried

hellfried Junior Member

thanks for a great howto. i am finally in the process of installing gutsy on my 20" imac. a note though. i had to use a display resolution of '1680x1050'. when i tried '1024x768' as u suggested i get an error saying something about low graphics or something (i did not get a screenshot). this may help others out there. :)

update - ok i have gutsy up and running. everything is working great except for the fact that i cannot install parallels tools. i see the parallels tool cd mounted on the gutsy desktop when i double-click it and i get to the 3 files on it. from terminal i do 'sudo /media/cdrom0/parallels-tools.run'. when it comes to the part about typing in 'yes or no' and i type 'y' nothing happens (pls refer to screenshot). any help?

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      202.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

pr3ciousroy, could you give more details on your issue? What error do you get?
    You seem to have some wrong configuration settings making you to re-install GG each time.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

8. jamgold

jamgold Bit poster

Xenos solution works because the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf specifies Xinerama, which is why the server flag is required, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks a lot Xenos

9. brunus

brunus Bit poster

what about Edubuntu 7.10?

Hi,
    anyone who succeeded having Edubuntu 7.10 up and running on Parallels 3.0 (build 5160)? I've gone all the way thru the installation (installa to the hard disk option), but at first reboot it hangs aftera a
    udevd-event [3163] run_program: ’sbin/modprobe’ abnormal exit
    few more lines and then it definitely hangs on:

loop: module loaded

I've tried the Xinerama and the NoMTRR tips with both 1280x800 and 1024x768, separately, but no success.

I'm using a MacBook Pro Santa Rosa 15" with Leopard 10.5.1

any clues?

brunus

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

brunus, could you make a screenshot when the installation hangs and send it attached to your post?
    You can try changing your Guest OS RAM in VM Configuration Editor-Memory and Acceleration level (Configuration-Options-Advanced), also please try removing devices such as USB Controller etc., then start installing Edubuntu 7.10 again.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. brunus

brunus Bit poster

Hello Xenos,
    I've tried once more, and succeeded to install Edubuntu 7.10 with the F6 --single option and specifying 1024x768 only at the installer prompt. At first reboot everything worked fine. So I tried to install Parallels tools and that's when the X server started to misbehave. I manually tweaked the xorg.conf, adding the Xinerama option as explained earlier in the thread and it works. Thank you folks!
    Sorry I don't know what was wrong on my first attempt, maybe the --single option.

Brunus

12. street spirit

street spirit Bit poster

For the archives, a (very late) reply to hellfried's problem installing the Parallels Tools:
    the installer's confirmation question is case sensitive, so you really have to type "Yes" instead of "yes".
    This probably should be fixed by the Parallels devs.

13. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Member

Bug not fixed - unacceptable!

I just downloaded the new build, 5582, and guess what, this bug is STILL not fixed! That is simply unacceptable.

Ditching Parallels and switching to VMware Fusion. Sorry guys, but come on. Ubuntu is one of the hottest Linux distributions out there. And this was a chance to resolve this issue with 7.10. No such luck.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  14. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

I would keep on trying... it IS case sensitive, and you need to search these forums a bit - it works - I've now done it a few times, and if I was smart I would have taken notes on it - but somewhere on this forum someone detailed it very well - I KNOW it should be easier, and better documentation should exist by Parallels...

I too have looked at Fusion recently (they just released an update); you should check THEIR forums before you make the step to purchase their product - their customers have their issues too... I'd take a peek if I were you... perhaps you're moving from the frying pan into the fire, no?

15. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Member

I know there's some hacky way to get it working. My point is that we shouldn't have to resort to those means. After this patch, I honestly expected to just create a new VM and install Gutsy. Nope.

Users should not have to go through hacky steps to get something so simple to work. A small team of programmers should've been able to nail this bug in the time since it's been discovered.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll check out the VMware forum to see how things are going over there.

16. xochi

xochi Member

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

CaptSaltyJack and Pkasin, we are working to fix the issue but the progress is slow. Please sorry.
    The current workaround is Parallels Tools installation:

1. Start Ubuntu, wait till X-server starts;
    2. Press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace simultaneously;
    3. Press Alt+F6;
    4. Log in as root or user (all commands require sudo prefix under user account and no sudo is required under root);
    5. Press Ctrl +Alt and click Actions in Parllels Desktop menu bar -> Install Parallels Tools;
    6. Go back to Linux and type the following commands:
    mkdir /home/cdrom/
    mount /dev/sr0/ /home/cdrom/
    sh /home/cdrom/parallels-tools_install.sh
    7. Type Yes;
    8. Run startx when Tools are installed.

Xochi, thank you for the remark. The article is corrected.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  18. hellfried

hellfried Junior Member

i had given up hope that my query will ever be answered. thanks for keeping the flame alive!

19. rkcarter

rkcarter Junior Member

pr3ciousroy ... still having your problem?

I just noticed yours looking through for some other issues. One thing to remember. When you are done installing ubuntu, are you going up and telling it to disconnect the ubuntu CD? If you're not, every time you boot, it will boot from that (real or .iso image) CD.

Just go to Devices | CD/DVD-ROM 1 and if you see it connected to ubuntu{something}.iso ... click on Disconnect. THEN try rebooting.

20. swimsy

swimsy Bit poster

Yes, VMware Fusion installs GG without a hitch. I will keep an eye on Parallels, but for now I've switched over to VMware.