Why is Parallels force me to install the latest update?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ReynierP, Aug 10, 2021.

1. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

So .... long story short: I had Parallels 16 with Fedora 34 and everything was running just fine, I did update to 17, and everything stopped working (usual with Parallels they release untested products without worrying about its customers) so I removed 17, downloaded 16 but SURPRISE!!!! I can't install it o_O

upload_2021-8-10_8-18-50.png
    I know it was released just yesterday but is there any workaround for this?
    PS: never, ever install something after 1 day it was released or you could run into this issues

2. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

Ok, thank god I created a copy of every VM before opening it in Parallels 17 ... I recover them and tried one more time WITHOUT installing the Parallels Tools, everything seems to be working fine, free advise: DO NOT INSTALL Parallels Tools in Linux unless you want to have a bad time ;)

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Hmm... Upgraded to 17 and had no problems with F34. They even surprisingly implemented the recent DRM fix.

The only annoying issue I have with their Automatic Tools Update GUI when upgrading Parallels, is that it disappears right after logging in and you have to manually restart it. Are you absolultely sure you ran the tools installer after you upgraded to 17?

4. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

@Mark Fine yessir, I could try one more time. For me, it started automatically and after I restarted the VM I've got a black screen for more than 10 min so I tried to go back but find out I couldn't get back into 16

5. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

upload_2021-8-10_9-31-38.png

upload_2021-8-10_9-32-25.png
    and there it is stuck forever

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Just a hunch, but try moving the mouse a bit. There's a weird thing in the latest couple of F34 kernels that pauses the boot and shutdown sequences until it sees mouse movement for some reason. You would only have noticed the boot was paused if you didn't have a 'splashless boot' and were able to see the boot commands. Can probably edit grub to take the 'splash' modifier out.

ReynierP likes this.
  7. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

Well that didn't work either, now I have no splash screen but still black

upload_2021-8-11_20-6-27.png

from there I have to completely kill Parallels process because the VM is freeze and I can't even restart nor shutdown it :(

8. ReynierP

ReynierP Member

Yea, seems to be something related to Parallels Tools and the Kernel:
    upload_2021-8-11_20-24-14.png
    Looking for a solution tried this https://forum.parallels.com/threads...ftware-update-macbook-pro.318616/#post-755182 and disabled 3D Acceleration and I am able to see the login screen but from there I can't do anything else is like the mouse and keyboard does not work at all, not sure where to go from there other than NOT install Parallels Tools

Attached Files: