'Fake' CPU specs to guest OS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ThomasH74, Jun 21, 2021.

1. ThomasH74

ThomasH74 Bit poster

Hello,
    we are trying to install a piece of software under a Windows 10 guest OS running on M1 ARM.
    Installation proceed to the point where the hardware is checked and we get an error that the CPU is not powerful enough, meaning 2 or more cores at a clock speed of 1.6 GHz or more. This is an old piece of software and the M1 for sure is capable of fluently executing it, however it is clocked at 1 GHz and hence fails to meet the spec.
    Is there a way Parallels can lie to the guest OS and return a higher figure for the clock speed?

Thanks,
    Thomas

-------------------------
    Thomas Hahn
    Head of IT
    Max Planck Institute for Physics
    (Werner Heisenberg Institute)
    Foehringer Ring 6
    D-80805 Munich, Germany
    Phone: +49-89-32354-208

2. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I would talk to Parallels Support on this one. There is a way to set Boot Flags that can override certain default behaviors of the system. When I've had trouble with scrolling within Microsoft Project Mac file access within QuickBooks, I've been Boot Flag settings that will override the defaults.

3. Hi, could you share with us a bit more details please? What kind of boot flag did you use?

4. ThomasH74

ThomasH74 Bit poster

Clean sheet, no boot flags so far.
    We've meanwhile worked around the original issue by using the msi installer with a combination of flags, though it seems to have been more of a random thing that this eventually worked.
    While it is certainly unusual for an installer to check the clock speed, it would nevertheless be interesting to know if Parallels has a way to circumvent this in general.

Thanks & Best Wishes,
    Thomas

5. Ilya Verbin

Ilya Verbin Junior Member

Implemented in Parallels Desktop 17.

DennisJ3 likes this.