Parallels 17 and Windows XP VM...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by diamondsoftware, Aug 10, 2021.

1. diamondsoftware

diamondsoftware Bit poster

Hi ,
    just upgraded Parallels 16 to Parallels 17 on a MacBookPro15 i7...
    I have 2 virtual machines:
    . Windows10Pro , it works perfectly
    . Windows XP to run two very old softwares.... FREEZE on windows xp starting! :(((
    So it seems there is a problem between Parallels17 and WindowsXP
    I've tried on 2 computers (Macbook pro and Mac mini) it's same.
    Bad news fo rme.
    S.

2. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

I cannot help with the fault but can say that I have a WinXPPro VM on my 2020 iMac that is running perfectly under Parallels 17. Upgraded Tools and I have run browser and Office programs with no issues. So, it is possible.

3. diamondsoftware

Thanks Rossh for your answer.
    To found it will be very difficult because, the freeze arrived at the boot (XP logo) and it seems that the keyboard and the mouse are not working. So impossible to start in safe mode to check if there is a driver problem.... so for the moment no solution :(
    Hopefully I've the same XP virtual machine on a Dell PC with virtual box to continue working on. :)
    S.

4. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

Wondering if you have a wired keyboard if you could configure it in VM Settings/Hardware/USB and Bluetooth/USB Connection Preferences to "connect to active VM" and then start and try to get Safe Mode (F8). Just a thought.....I have not tried it!

5. diamondsoftware

Thanks Rossh, good idea :) I will try and see...