x86 Windows Supported in M1 Parallels Desktop 17?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by PiotrR3, Aug 10, 2021.

1. PiotrR3

PiotrR3 Bit poster

Hi
    I am really looking for a real support of x86 based Windows, Is it supported yet !
    Arm windows is a joke does not work with a whole lot of native Windows Apps and windows for arm is not available to buy anyway.
    Please provide update if x86 windows in not supported yet when will it? Parallels is an emulator and should have no problem emulation x86 instructions on M1 Mac .

Apple can do it with Rosetta no problem and intel apps work even faster.

I was running Beta Parallels on M1 and I could not install my Windows 10 Pro version it was not compatible.
    I have a lot of paid Apps for windows that will work only with x86 programs.

I was briefly on a customer laptop with arm cpu and windows for arm ( some special edition ) he could not install a sing Intel based program and there are not many Arm programs for windows that I can find.

Before I buy an upgrade to 17 I need to confirm that it will install Windows 10 Pro x64 intel version without any problem.

Please Advise

Thank you

2. ErnieS1

ErnieS1 Junior Member

It's not going to support x86. No M1 virtualization tool does--because if it did, it'd be an emulation tool. If you want to use to use Windows, use the ARM version of Windows.

3. PiotrR3

PiotrR3 Bit poster

Thats what this program is ! Emulator for Windows and other Systems !

You don't remember VirtualPC for MotorolaPC ! it was designed to use Windows x86 apps on Mac and it was emulating it beautifully. Just like Rosetta Does.

Therer no programs for arm cpu and windows to buy.

So parallel won't get any more money if they can emulate Windows x86 instruction anymore.
    They will eventually vanish for the lack of interest in it. Who wants to use a software that is useless and can not do anything that it used to do which is to emulate x86 instruction!

I will definitely not be buying a Parallel anymore if it does not work with x86 instruction!.

Thats why its called emulator.

4. PiotrR3

PiotrR3 Bit poster

well then if the emulation is not gonna work with x86 this will not be a product for me and unfortunately I will have to buy a pc laptop to run native apps and that's not what I want to do from emulation software. So no purpose for me to use Parallel I just hope someone will step in with a real emulation..

please explain why apple can emulate x86 with rosetta and Microsoft aw well... some info her from microsoft
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/apps-on-arm-x86-emulation

5. PiotrR3

PiotrR3 Bit poster

6. PiotrR3

PiotrR3 Bit poster

looks like VMWare is working on a real emulation so looking forward to the end of the year for their product looks like Fusion my get my money.

7. ErnieS1

ErnieS1 Junior Member

From VMWare's own blog post: "We don't plan to support installing or running x86 VMs on Macs with Apple silicon."

Instead of complaining, understand the architectural differences, that make this a no-go and that virtualization is not emulation. If you need x86 in Windows, buy a PC or wait for Microsoft to improve x86 emulation support in ARM. But understand that it's not going to work as-is, and honestly the reason it doesn't is because Microsoft hasn't solved a complicated problem on their end, but Apple has.

Your other option might be something like Crossover.

8. PiotrR3

PiotrR3 Bit poster

Thanks for the link
    looks like they changed the policy on not doing emulation as well.

Well nor VMware or Parallel will get any money from now on from me and many people I am sure.

however its good to know that there are other that will do it even for free
    I will be looking into https://www.qemu.org

Thanks

9. ErnieS1

ErnieS1 Junior Member

Again, stop blaming a technical limitation on Microsoft's end on Parallels or VMWare. It's not their fault. It's a new architecture and you will find a lot to like about it if you approach it like that going in.

QEMU is actually an emulator so it may work (warning that it is much more technical even with the UTM frontend). But keep in mind performance will not be anything like Rosetta because Apple has optimized performance for Intel apps in Rosetta mode at the hardware level, something it has not done for other platforms.

10. IanC15

IanC15 Bit poster

Hi Mike, do you think once Windows 11 ARM is installed on Parallels 17, that ACT! CRM self hosted would be able to be installed onto it, even though there's no ARM version?

11. IanC15

IanC15 Bit poster

Hi Mike, thank you for your reply. It is appreciated. ACT is a contact management software. I contacted them and the software falls under your reply number 3 - their latest version is x64, but it doesn't require drivers. They said they would send me link to a trial to test it out, but the concern is that if I purchase a new laptop with the M1 chip, that it will be too late if it doesn't work, because I would have already received the laptop and tried the installation (hard to return a computer after all of that). Plus the ACT self hosted software is $400 per seat. Do you have a company that does paid tech support that might be willing to receive the trial link that my ACT certified consultant offered to send me today, and then load it to see if it works in the Windows 11 ARM scenario? Or do you have a company that you can recommend that might be willing to test it if I pay them? I'm trying to find options, because between the new Apple MacBook Pro and the ACT software, it's a large investment on the risk that it may or may not function. Unfortunately I've built a major part of my PR company over 20 years using that ACT software and can't really shift away from it without a significant and difficult integration process. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

12. IanC15

IanC15 Bit poster

Hi Mike, thank you for the quick reply. I did a special order with changes to their stock configuration, but it hasn't shipped yet, probably not until middle/late of February. Not sure what their policy is for return of special orders, but if ACT doesn't work, at this time I can still cancel the order. If you'd be willing to check if it installs and launches, that would be meaningful. In the scheme of things, it's a relatively basic program. Basically, it holds contacts and a calendar. Upon launch you'd probably see a contact window with a Jane Doe and then buttons on the left, with one to access the calendar. I can provide you with the link that the certified consultant just sent me, which would save you time and not put you on their radar for emails. Or if you go to their website www.act.com, you can sign up for a demo for ACT! V24. Please let me know your preference, and thank you for your efforts.

Act Contact window.png Act calendar window.png