Leopard 10.5.1 -> lost networking from Parallels/WinXP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AriK, Nov 16, 2007.

1. AriK

AriK Bit poster

Just installed the Mac OS X 10.5.1 upgrade and now it looks like no apps within Parallels/WinXP can access the network.

Help?

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

have you checked your network settings? What type of network connection do you use?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. AriK

AriK Bit poster

There are those two settings automatically created by Parallels when installing (Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT).

Note: It used to work just fine before 10.5.1 fix installation.

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

In the VM's Configuration Editor in the Network Adapter tab which type of emulation is checked?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

5. John@flavors

John@flavors Junior Member

Choose the default adapter to get connected

The update must have changed something!

6. AriK

AriK Bit poster

No kidding ;)

Actually, after couple of Mac & Parallels restarts the network connection (which is: Realtel 8029; shared networking) works again from Parallels. Did not touch any settings...

Stopping the virtual machine an/or quitting Parallels ends often to beachball. I'm really waiting for the Parallels Leopard update... frustrated about the current instability.

BUT: it is still unclear to me why MacBook interal bluetooth cannot be accesses by WinXP VM. Any information on how to fix this?

7. jrdub

jrdub Junior Member

Same issue here. Updated to 10.5.1 last night and have not had network connectivity in Parallels since. Running the latest beta of Parallels (5540). Macbook Pro 2.33ghz with WinXP running in a non-bootcamp VM. Rebooted OS X since the update and also rebooted Windows a couple times and restarted Parallels both times. No dice.

8. jones

jones Bit poster

"Shared Networking" setting not working post 10.5.1 update

Right after I installed 10.5.1 update from Apple, my VM (configured for Shared Networking) would no longer grab an IP address from Parallels (I'm running the latest prod version, 5160). If I do an "ipconfig" in a Windows command prompt, its IP address is the default 169.254... that you get when the DHCP client is not able to get an address. As a test, I changed my VM config to use the Bridged Ethernet setting (in which case the VM grabs its own address from the network instead of one provided by Parallels) and it worked fine. Very frustrating since my Windows VM works much better in Shared Networking mode.

9. krayola

krayola Bit poster

Seeing the same problem as jones. I need shared networking to do NFS back to my mac... I may have to ditch Parallels soon if this can't be resolved.

10. nybble

nybble Bit poster

Broken for me as well

10.5.1 has broken my XP connectivity as well. I was already in bridge mode so that wasn't the fix and switching to shared didn't seem to help either.

felix

11. nybble

nybble Bit poster

Huh, ok. After I switched to shared and then went back to bridged it is now working. It still never works in shared mode... but I hadn't been using it there.

12. Laser_jock

Laser_jock Member

FWIW. With 10.5.1 and 5540 (MBP, C2D) - no problems with shared network. As a matter of fact, I'm writing this reply from the XP side via the shared setting.

-LJ

13. flappleton

flappleton Bit poster

Maybe not just Leopard

I upgraded as suggested by Software update last night. Ended up with 10.4.11 and also lost my wireless net work connection.

14. kuebler

kuebler Member

15. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

16. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

Got it fixed

All,

I was able to get network by the following steps:
    1. Shutdown Parallels.
    2. Go grab the latest version of MacFUSE and install it: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list
    3. Reboot the Mac.
    4. Change the settings in your virtual server to use Shared Networking instead of Bridged.
    5. Startup the virtual server.

I still am not able to get Bridged working, and this happened right after I installed the 10.5.1 update. I am awaiting an email response from Support now, but at least I can access the internet again.

Thanks.

17. jones

jones Bit poster

Shared Networking works for me now

Strange -- I read through the "known issues" as Alicia suggested and started to go through the troubleshooting process outlined in #17. My Parallels virtual adapters (in System Preferences/Network) have been active (green) from the get go (that was one of the first things I checked when I first noticed the problem) so I proceeded to gather the ifconfig info from the Mac, then moved on to get the ipconfig /all info from my Windows VM. Before I did that, I decided to switch my VM back to Shared Networking (recall that in my case, Bridged Networking worked fine) so that the ipconfig /all would show that the VM was not grabbing an IP address from Parallels -- my original problem. Low and behold, when I switched back to Shared Networking, the damn thing worked fine!! The only change I know for certain has occurred since I reported the original problem is that I recently did a complete cold re-boot (something I rarely do with my MacBook -- heck, I rarely ever do a warm re-boot -- mine mostly just stays running and goes in and out of sleep mode -- works like a charm). Go figure! I seem to be okay for now.