PARALLELS TOOLS ON ARCH LINUX ARM, KERNEL 5.11.4-1-ARCH

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RizzoA, Jul 31, 2021.

1. RizzoA

RizzoA Bit poster

Hi, I'm trying to install parallels tools on Arch Linux arm but I have this error. How can I solve it?[​IMG]

2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

I don't have M1, but I guess you will need to apply my patch from the 5.11 thread + there is also a patch for the ARM based distros (I think it will be in the same thread as my 5.11 patch). Use search to locate these bits.

3. RizzoA

RizzoA Bit poster

Can you please link it to me?

4. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

5. RizzoA

RizzoA Bit poster

T
    This don't work for me, maybe The patch is wrong, i have apwaad this error, but The file exist

Attached Files:

6. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

Man, I don't know how to help you. You did not even provide the command you were running. According to the patch output, it is likely that you did not strip enough (or stripped too much) of the patch path names. The idea is that you need to be in the top directory of the Parallels Tools driver source tree (the directory where you unpack the archive to) and then run "patch -p1 < path_to_the_patch_file". This is how that directory looks like:
    Code:
    [root@archlinux parallels-tools-16.5.1.49187]# ls -la
    total 36
    drwx------ 7 root root 4096 Jul  2 18:14 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Aug  4 13:31 ..
    -rw------- 1 root root  956 Jul  2 18:14 dkms.conf
    -rw------- 1 root root 1638 Jul  2 18:14 Makefile.kmods
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jul  2 18:14 prl_eth
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jul  2 18:14 prl_fs
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jul  2 18:14 prl_fs_freeze
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jul  2 18:14 prl_tg
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jul  2 18:14 prl_vid
    [root@archlinux parallels-tools-16.5.1.49187]#

7. RizzoA

RizzoA Bit poster

I have followed this guide and in step 9 I was in tools_cd and then I had the error that you see, I run patch -p1 < and I paste the path to the patch that you linked to me(obviously, I downloaded the patch from the link). This is the output of ls -la

Attached Files:

8. RizzoA

RizzoA Bit poster

sorry, this is the output of ls -la. from the main directory, not from kmods, this is ls -la of kmods

Attached Files:

9. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

@RizzoA, well, with Parallels Desktop 17 you no longer need to apply the patches it seems. However, we are yet to receive a report from somebody running on Apple M1. Please try to upgrade your Parallel Desktop to version 17 and use the official way of installing the tools.

10. ShawnC4

ShawnC4 Member

I was able to compile prltools-17.0.0 for arm on Fedora 34 (kernel 5.13.8 at the moment). Shared folders and copy/paste are working. DVD mounting is not working, and the ~3 minute delay at startup that I saw with kernels 5.10+ (with or without prltools) is still present.
    Note that due to the dvd mounting issue, I needed to scp the prltools into the VM before building them,

11. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

The delay is likely attributed to the recent changes in systemd's udev subsystem. On Arch Linux, there was a brief moment when this was happening, but then the new version of systemd package fixed it. It usually manifests itself by sitting at ":: trigerring uevents ..." line for at least a minute. JFYI. If you see something different (or don't see anything in the VMs console at all) during the delay, then I have not stumbled upon your issue and cannot comment on it.

ShawnC4 likes this.
  12. ShawnC4

ShawnC4 Member

Thanks for the insight. At least in my case most of the delay was observed while seeing "Reached target Initrd Root Device" on the console. Other parts of the boot sequence took longer than seemed reasonable, but that was by far the longest (~2 minutes).

My most recent dnf upgrade seems to have brought things back to normal. There may be other components involved, but the kernel is 5.13.10. The VM boots quickly, I can mount ISO images on the DVD, and the CPU stays cool if I'm not doing much in the guest. All with an unpatched prltools, on arm

At the moment I'm a happy Parallels customer, at least until the next major kernel update :)

(GalaxyMaster) likes this.