Parallels 17 updates

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ErnieS1, Aug 9, 2021.

1. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Member

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I gave the VM 8GB ram per the 16GB in total.

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  2. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

On the second page of DxDiag you can see that driver is WDDM 1.3 (2.0 required) and supports functions of DirectX 11 and below.

DennisJ3 and ManuelQ1 like this.
  3. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Member

Also send my technical report with the ID 376055651. Exactly the same issue.

4. JerryG

JerryG Member

Even after enabling TPM, Windows 11 still says my computer doesn't meet requirements. And I can't change from Dev to Beta for the insider updates. I'm ready to give up on this nonsense.

LukeM9 likes this.
  5. MattK8

MattK8 Bit poster

Same issue..says doesn't meet requirements and only can Select Dev Channel. TPM was added and enabled.

6. BradB7

BradB7 Member

I have the same issue here with my M1 Macbook Pro with a Windows 11 Pro license on the VM. I purchased the annual license upgrade to Parallels 17 Pro from my 16.5.1 standard version. Manually added the TPM 2.0 to the configuration (and MS reports it there in the VM as present). Ran the dxdiag the same as everyone else and Windows come back saying DirectX 12 is present. Yet, I still don't meet the "minimum requirements for Windows 11." I filed a technical report with support ID# 376109038

7. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Yep same here
    1) Upgraded from 17 Beta to 17 Commercial
    2) Tried to upgrade a cloned VM - NO
    3) Created a new VM from Insider Image - NO
    4) Created a new Image and preloaded a TMP 2.0 - NO

Strange seemed so easy in the press release / Marketing stuff ... mmm so not reporting its in a VM. .... scratches head ...

8. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Gave it 6GB. so not the 4GB limit ..

9. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Who did you switch .... does it run 11 ? WhynotWin11 on my systems also reports DirectX + WDDM2. "could be an Issue"

10. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Just posted a Technical report 376163186. just noticed that WhyNotWin 11 might be pointing to display driver and not direct X, which it reports to be only WDDM. not WDDM2 !!!

11. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

WDDM is reported by DXDIAg as 1.13 !.... not 2...

12. NicholasS8

NicholasS8 Bit poster

I found a way around this on youtube. Have to make some regedit's but it's only 2 fields changing it to dev.

13. GiovanniM7

GiovanniM7 Junior Member

Too bad, this was our best chance to switch from the dev channel (after months) to something more stable (beta channel). However, after upgrading to parallels 17, the OS still reports that my M1 MacBook pro does not have the requirements to run Windows 11. Even though Parallels 17 is sold as Windows 11 ready. Misleading to say the least...

DennisJ3 likes this.
  14. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

This is a warning.
    Running Win 11 on M1 / Parallels 16.5, I updated to 17 whilst Windows was running.
    After the Update Windows had a black screen and was unresponsive. The only way to get it fixed was to STOP the virtual machine which can cause VM corruption and will lose all non-saved data in Windows. Previously, I did experience VM corruption once in the context of stopping Windows (different context).
    Thankfully after the STOP, Windows did boot and did not go into recovery mode or anything similar. Edge tabs could be restored thanks to the recovery feature. So no data loss for me.

I am going to use caps as it is important:
    ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR complete VM FILE (copy or clone it - just snapshots will often NOT help in case of disaster) before updating Parallels.
    To Parallels Staff: The update process was very uncomfortable. Add an additional dialogue that will
    - ask the user to shut down windows first as this is probably safer
    - optionally create a full copy of the VM to be safe
    - prompt the user if they are really certain to install the new version.

15. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

More info about the warning:
    I would also like to add that all PREVIOUS snapshots ALSO where all black, and going back to them always had the same issue -- black, unresponsive Windows.
    I also noticed it said "windows 10" somewhere when it is Windows 11.

16. KristoferB

KristoferB Bit poster

Hi Matthias,

Same problem here, and I'm not proficient enough to even know how I stop the virtual machine. Some pointers to a Padwan?

Br,

Kristofer

17. KristoferB

KristoferB Bit poster

Found it...nmd!!!

Br,

KB

18. GiovanniM7

GiovanniM7 Junior Member

Thank you so much for the tip =)

19. BradB7

BradB7 Member

I'm a little leery about the scripting option right now to switch from Dev to Beta. What's to say that a Beta won't also lock out a non-WDDM 2.0 driver on Directx12? Parallels says they are working on a fix due to those of us who submitted technical reports and honestly, I'd rather let them fix it than tricking the registry with a script, especially as the Dev channel seems to be working fine for now.

20. AndrewC37

AndrewC37 Bit poster

Help! This update has been a disaster for me. Windows just shows a black screen half the time. Mouse is extremely laggy/sluggish. I will downgrade to 16 until multiple issues are resolved.