Microsoft Access in Parallels on Apple M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JaredE, May 5, 2021.

1. JaredE

JaredE Junior Member

Hello,

Can anyone confirm that MS Access works inside Parallels on an Apple M1 machine? This is my deal breaker.

2. TracyW1

TracyW1 Bit poster

I am getting ready to try porting it over in the next few days. I will let you know. We are using Access 2010 running on a Windows XP OS. However, I may wind up having to upgrade the OS due to a strange problem I have discovered with Access on that platform. What Access and OS are you using?

3. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Access 365 works ... anything in particular ?

4. JaredE

JaredE Junior Member

I'm just wondering about MS Access because it'll be Windows 10 ARM inside Parallels and I wasn't sure if there was an ARM version of MS Access.

5. PedroS7

PedroS7 Junior Member

Windows 10 ARM can run x86 applications, anyway, they're just slower.

6. RobertS45

RobertS45 Bit poster

The issue of MS Access on M1 Macbook X is, Office 365 Suite of products does not include MS Access. The suite of apps is the same as the standard product set offered on Mac OS. I tried in March of 2021 to install Parallels, Windows 10 (this works great), and Microsoft 365. After installation, the only apps that were downloaded in Microsoft 365 were, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

7. JaredE

JaredE Junior Member

@RobertS45 Did you try the Windows 10 x86 version with x86 emulation on the M1? it seems MS Access should be available and work on the Apple M1, but will run slower.

8. RobertS45

RobertS45 Bit poster

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with Windows X. Microsoft 365 doesn't support Access on any Mac, and now, it's not supporting Access on Parallels for M1 Macs running Windows.

9. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

I have Access running in Windows 11 (Arm64 Office 365 distribution). It seems to work fine. Are you saying that it is not supported by Microsoft? But isn't that moot as Microsoft does not even support Windows on Arm running as a VM on M1.

10. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

This may be a limitation of your account. Like I said above, my Office365 distribution comes with Access.

11. JaredE

JaredE Junior Member

To answer my own question:
    On the Apple M1 laptop, you can use the Windows 10 ARM technical preview VM from Microsoft, install the ARM version of Microsoft 365 and this also includes MS Access. It runs fine inside Parallels.

12. RobertS86

RobertS86 Bit poster

On my MacBook Pro M1 2016, Access does not work within an Win11-VM. I can start Access, but I can't neither create a new database nor I can open an existing database. In each case Access finishes without any error messages.

13. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Possibly your access to Office365 (which is now Microsoft 365) is the BUSINESS version not the PERSONAL/HOME version. The Business version comes with Access (unless you install it on a Mac computer as it needs Windows) while the Personal/Home - which I have a subscription to - does not have Access regardless even if I open it on my Windows 11ARM VM.

14. Adriad

Adriad Bit poster

Hi everyone!
    Any update about how to run properly MS OFFICE 365 in Windows 11 ARM64?
    I use a Macbook pro M1 and Parallels 18.
    I have a project based in Excel, but I need to make a connection to database in Access, and it seems it does not work...
    Attached find a screenshot of the error on my code. In my work windows pc x64 the connection works fine.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

15. OlegD1

OlegD1 Bit poster

Hello, Adriad. Same here. Microsoft 365 Family, Windows 11 ARM64 (22H2), using Excel PQ to access MS Access data.
    Up until mid-October 2022 everything worked fine. After October 27th update keep getting error message ending 0490 or like that with no reference to MS Access ODBC or anything related to MS Access.
    I tried every Microsoft 365 update since that but no luck - same error.
    I have to roll back to Microsoft 365 version dated October 11st, 2022 (Version 2209 (Build 15629.20208)) using MS office software development tool. Then it's back to working state again.
    BTW MS Power BI connection to MS Access works flawlessly.
    Looking forward Parallels to investigate this issue as soon as possible.

16. SamuelO2

SamuelO2 Bit poster

I have exact the same problem. My connections with Excel and also tried PowerBI, none of then work. Everything is updated with the last version.

17. AmitZ

AmitZ Bit poster

I have a similar issue, Visual Basic 2022 (64-bit) can not connect to MS Access (64-bit) on MacBook Air M2 and also on my father's MacBook Pro M1, both running Windows 11 Pro 22H2 on ARM.