PD 17: "Mouse pointer sticks to window edges" option stopped working after upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KorkyPlunger, Aug 13, 2021.

1. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Disabling the "Mouse pointer sticks to window edges" stopped working after upgrade from PD 16 to PD 17 when running in full screen mode.

I use an external monitor with my laptop open, and in PD 16 I could move my mouse cursor off the edge of my windows VM when in full-screen mode and on to my host OS on the other screen. I have the "Mouse pointer sticks to window edges" disabled.

Starting in PD 17 this no longer works. As soon as I click to focus in the windows VM (which I run in full-screen on a single display), the mouse will stick to the edges and not let me smoothly transition to the other display running MacOS natively.

This seems like a regression in PD 17?

I filed technical data for this, #376220098

2. ColeB

ColeB Bit poster

I'm just tagging along so I can get notified when this gets updated, cos I got the same issue.

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

I'm having this EXACT same problem and it's unbelievably annoying and causing issues getting my work done. How is it this thread is 6 days old and not a single reply from Parallels? I regret ever upgrading to PD17...

4. AndrewC37

AndrewC37 Bit poster

I am seeing possibly related issue with mouse. Windows mouse pointer displays separate from Mac pointer. Edges stick even when I have them set to not stick. Mouse pointer is extremely laggy/sluggish. All around a disastrous update. Very bad regressions around mouse input. Definitely preventing me from getting work done.

5. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

It is very frustrating, enough so that I need to downgrade to PD 16. But I don't consider it a showstopper. It's probably just one of those many regressions that happens when a major new release comes out -- it's hard to test every scenario.

I recommend following up with a support request and filing technical data, and I hope Parallels fixes this in an upcoming release.

6. ColeB

ColeB Bit poster

Did you have any issues with the downgrade? Do you have a reference link to where you did?

I thought I saw something saying once the machine had been upgraded it couldn't be downgraded?

7. JimC2

JimC2 Member

Hi. I'm having this issue also within the last few days. Seems to have started when parallels tools updated maybe ? Very frustrating

8. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Yes, it is quite frustrating. I have Slack running in MacOS on one monitor while I run full-screen parallels in another. I used to copy-paste all the time between the two, and switch back and forth simply by moving my mouse onto the other monitor and clicking, neither of which I can do anymore without physically switching out of parallels and back to Mac OS.

9. zainu

zainu Bit poster

hello guys I hope you all are doing fine I'm having this issue for a week. Seems to have started when parallels tools were updated. did you guys find any solution for this problem? if you have found any thing then let me know thank you.

10. Hello, are you running the latest Parallels Desktop version?
    Do you have an issue with other applications?

11. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

I just upgraded to the latest release of PD 17 and this issue is no longer occurring for me. Thank you!

12. RezaN2

RezaN2 Bit poster

https://kb.parallels.com/116990
    Found the solution to this.
    It appears that the Parallels Desktop 17 has the Mouse settings were set to Optimize for games by default. Updating it to Auto-detect for games will get you all the results you expect where the mouse does not stick to the edge of the guest OS when moving between Host and guest.

Attached Files:

13. AmberA2

AmberA2 Bit poster

Starting in PD 17 this no longer works. As soon as I click to focus in the windows VM (which I run in full-screen on a single display), the mouse will stick to the edges and not let me smoothly transition to the other display running MacOS natively.

14. EricB24

EricB24 Bit poster

Hi All!
    Just changed in config.pvs, the tag <OptimiseForGames> from 1 to 0, restarted the VM, and it Works !
    It didn't worked using PD17 GUI...

Maybe it can help...
    Eric

[​IMG] upload_2022-3-16_8-55-5.png
    upload_2022-3-16_8-55-44.png

15. QZS

QZS Bit poster

I had this identical issue with Parallels Desktop 18. I was using Goat Simulator 3 and the mouse look wouldn't work past the edges of the screen. Changing the mouse from "Auto Detect for Games" to "Optimize for Games" fixed this for my VM. Thanks for the suggestions above!