Parallels 17 + Ubuntu 21.04 Low Resolution

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by SeanBB, Aug 21, 2021.

1. SeanBB

SeanBB Member

After installing the new parallel 17 tools under ubuntu 21.04 I have not been able to access higher resolutions beyond 1024 x 768 (4:3) and with the tools removed, I'm stuck at 800 x 600 (4:3).

2. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

Have you checked your VM video settings? The graphics setting needs to be set to "More Space" and not scaled. I am running Ubuntu 21.04 and can get full resolution. I have two VMs on a M! MacBook Pro.

3. SeanBB

SeanBB Member

More space is the setting no joy!

4. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

Ok. How many CPU cores and how much system memory do you have dedicated to the VM? I have 2 cores and 4 Gb memory dedicated to the VM. On Parallels the video memory of the VM is using the Mac system memory.

5. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

FYI. According to Activity Monitor on the Mac my VM uses approximately 3Gb of Mac memory on boot up.

6. SeanBB

SeanBB Member

It's using the defaults. Everything was good prior to P17 and after installing the P17 tools the video issues started.
    Thanks for your help. I might have better luck with VMWare.

7. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

Yep. I am waiting on VMWare Fusion for the M1 Mac to come out myself. I have used it for years and find it provides more granular settings for the VM. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

8. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

I have also seen this on P17 after upgrading Ubuntu 20.02 to 21.04. I could not get beyond 1024 x 768. Tried re-installing tools but no joy. Currently rolled back to 20.02 from my VM backup until this is resolved .... 20.02 working fine. Supposedly P17 supports 21.04 according to notes.
    This is on an Intel 2020 iMac with i7 and 5700XT video card.

9. SeanBB

SeanBB Member

Recently Parallels "Support for anything" seems like a marketing ploy by management to drive sales vs delivering a stable product. Whatever VMWare Fusion is doing, Parallels should take a leaf from them and put quality over short-term profit or eventually lose credibility.

10. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

I can see a difference then in my setup. My VM is a fresh install of 21.04. Maybe that is the key.

11. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

Problem not solved but resolved by doing a fresh install of 21.04.
    In the 20.02 installation and upgraded 21.04 I have two desktops options, Ubuntu and Lubuntu. On 21.04 I found that the Lubuntu desktop was working fine for resolution. Switching to Ubuntu (Unity, I think) had the resolution problem. Both were fine on 20.02.
    I attempted to uninstall Lubuntu but killed the installation.....fortunately a backup I was working with. Anyway, it appears that dual desktop install is part of the reported problem when upgrading....I am not a Linux expert and could not find a solution by searching so reinstall was the easiest way to recover.
    I will keep away from dual desktop install on the fresh one!

12. jhfenton

jhfenton Junior Member

I've also had this issue every time I've tried to upgrade from 20.10 to 21.04. I keep rolling back the upgrade hoping I'll figure something out--or there will eventually be a fix.

13. jhfenton

jhfenton Junior Member

I eventually just did a clean installation, and that also resolved the issue for me.
    But I shouldn't have had to.

14. ElizabetH6

ElizabetH6 Bit poster

I had this, and then I relaxed and turned on dramas