Run x64 OS on M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by TornikeG, Aug 21, 2021.

1. TornikeG

TornikeG Junior Member

Hi,
    I would like to know if there is a way to run an x64 OS on M1.

The reason I am asking this is since Apple created Rosetta translation environment to deal with apps that contain x86_64 instructions to be able to run on Mac, maybe there is something similar in Parallels software that would allow that. It would be very convenient to have one bootable flash drive that you could use both on a PC machine and an M1 Mac.

Di_1 likes this.
  2. DavidB117

DavidB117 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hey sorry I know this is late but:
    1. Yes, there is a way.
    2. No, Rosetta 2 unfortunately cannot be used for it.
    3. It's not possible in Parallels Desktop.
    Apple said at WWDC 2020 that Rosetta 2 cannot be used for virtualization. At a later WWDC, they did bring Rosetta 2 translation to Linux virtual machines, however, it only works to run x86_64 binaries on the ARM64 version of the Linux OS; it can't be used to run a full x86_64 operating system. Still, Rosetta 2 is not even supported in Windows VMs.

Your only option is to emulate a whole machine. You can try QEMU if you want, but just keep in mind that driver support may be limited and you won't get GPU acceleration, which will make nearly all animations choppy and also disable all translucency effects. This might not matter if you don't care about the UI, but it can make things very slow.

Hope that helps!

3. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

X64 translation works for macOS apps. Emulation of an X64 OS via Parallels is not possible, at least thus far (never say never!). However, you can explore emulators like QEMU.

Di_1 likes this.
  4. JoeDawson

JoeDawson Junior Member

Thank you for answering this question because sadly this is the exact problem I have. When I travel I use a Mac and for my better half who uses Windows I have a VM for her in Parallels that works great. But it looks like if I jump to an M1 Mac I will only be able to run other VMs that run on the ARM OS. And as of today Microsoft has no real Rosetta equivalent so most of the old applications she runs will not work in the Windows Arm OS. Maybe in a LONG time from now when the Windows ARM OS improves but for now I sadly can't upgrade my laptop to any version of an Apple CPU.

Di_1 likes this.
  5. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

Windows 10 for ARM has always been able to emulate 32bit Intel Windows apps and more recently has gained support for 64bit Intel Windows apps ... depending on the apps your better half needs, she may find they work perfectly well under the Windows 10 or 11 for ARM as a guest.

Di_1 likes this.
  6. RaumD

RaumD Bit poster

Are you running a build of Win10 older than 21292.1010? I just bought Parallels 16 on the 28th of July (unrelated anger about the free upgrade I missed by a few days) and installed the latest build at the time, currently 21354, and I have not been able to launch any x64 apps. The only information I can find suggests that 21292.1010, KB4601937, broke x64 emulation which had only been introduced in build 21277. I've been searching for any sign that it has been fixed since then and that I've just done something wrong which brings me to these forums. I can't uninstall that update because, I assume, it was baked-in to the version I installed. It's far too limiting not being able to install anything x64.

7. Anand48

Anand48 Member

We are researching possibilities for running x86/x64-based VMs on Mac with Apple M1 chip, but unfortunately, it shows itself as an approach that delivers low performance and high energy consumption. Hence, Parallels Desktop doesn't offer this option now.

8. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

I must admit I'm not a frequent or heavy user of my Windows guest on my M1 but it did run the minor Intel apps a while back when I needed it to.
    I've just booted up the Win10 guest and the Win11 guest it became, the Win 10 Build is 21389.2025, the
    Win 11 Build 22000.160. To be honest, over the past 3-4 months, the only thing I've booted them up for is to update Windows (and partly to have a brief look at Win 11)
    I knew x64 had been removed from previous versions of Win10 ARM but thought it had returned... as a test I've just tried running Putty (not exactly demanding I know) on both the Win10 and Win11 guests and both started, suggesting the x64 emulation is indeed back in the latest builds

Here is the section of Task Manager showing the 3 versions I tried running.
    upload_2021-8-24_12-53-29.png

9. SamH7

SamH7 Bit poster

I've just installed Parallels 17 Pro with hope that the only two x64 programs I need to use in Windows 10 would work, turns out neither do so sadly this VM ware is of no use to me.. is this something that will be resolved in the coming months? ..or should I just give in and go back to a PC?

10. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

Sam, sorry to say but difficult to answer without details. If you care to name the couple of apps maybe people already on the forum can answer or give advice, but x64 emulation in Windows 10/11 is barely within Parallels control (bar graphics drivers and USB connectivity), it's purely Microsoft. As RaumD mentioned, it's also rather dependant on which build of Windows you're running in the guest, some definitely don't work, some do to a lesser or greater extent, but all are pre-release versions so bugs are to be expected to some extent.

11. ChrisParallel

ChrisParallel Bit poster

Currently, on Apple Silicon Macbooks, no x86/x64 Windows or Linux can run, even not in Parallels.
    I have Windows installations that include program installations with licences I cannot recover when I have to move to ARM Win11. There are many problems when there is no possibility to run my x86 installations on the new Mac anymore.

- Is it planned to integrate an emulation? Please check if a cooperation with the existing solutions is possible: UTM, Homebrew, QEMU
    - How could I convert a Parallels drive to an x64/x86 emulation or VR on a Windows computer as temporarily solution?

StephenPope and Di_1 like this.
  12. Di_1

Di_1 Bit poster

It would be great if an emulation layer was added to parallels to run x86 OS! Please, tink about this!!

13. StephenPope

StephenPope Bit poster

I have the same problem - expensive software on a Windows7 VM.
    Does anyone know of a way to move these to UTM or other emulator???

14. DavidB117

DavidB117 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hey sorry I know this is late but:
    1. Yes, there is a way.
    2. No, Rosetta 2 unfortunately cannot be used for it.
    3. It's not possible in Parallels Desktop.
    Apple said at WWDC 2020 that Rosetta 2 cannot be used for virtualization. At a later WWDC, they did bring Rosetta 2 translation to Linux virtual machines, however, it only works to run x86_64 binaries on the ARM64 version of the Linux OS; it can't be used to run a full x86_64 operating system. Still, Rosetta 2 is not even supported in Windows VMs.

Your only option is to emulate a whole machine. You can try QEMU if you want, but just keep in mind that driver support may be limited and you won't get GPU acceleration, which will make nearly all animations choppy and also disable all translucency effects. This might not matter if you don't care about the UI, but it can make things very slow.

Hope that helps!