New iMac owner m1. Just installed W11 arm. Need this fixed before I buy parallels 17

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DonaldW7, Aug 27, 2021.

1. DonaldW7

DonaldW7 Bit poster

its a brand new iMac, I unboxed it, loaded up my backup from my MacBook Air (256gb) onto my m1 iMac 2tb 16gb ssd. Everything worked great, it shows 1.9tb free on my iMac space. I installed parallels 17, then installed windows 11 arm. Runs GREAT so far. I installed steam, (downloaded this for games) but when I went to install steam, it says Drive C 209gb (of 256gb) free. So I googled, found parallels advice, closed parallels 17, clicked on the parallels setting, slid the slider to 512gb and then went and went to install steam, it still shows 209.

When I go to disk format options on windows side, I see 2 HDD's C drive 256gb and then recovery 256gb. How do I merge those together? I made it 256gb again, and went back to that disk format place, and it shows like 500mb recovery now on 2nd volume. I just want 500gb dedicated to windows 11 arm, / parallels. and cant figure out how to get the windows side to see it has 512 vs the default 256gb that I assume it normally gets.

256gb goes quickly on games.

If I can get this fixed, I will buy parallels, but if I cant, I really dont want to own it.

2. DonaldW7

DonaldW7 Bit poster

cliff-
    On parallels 17 settings, where TPM etc is, I made it 512gb. but when I install stuff on the windows 11arm side, only shows 209gb, of a 256gb volume size. when I make it 512gb, theres a recovery volume grows 256gb but I cant seem to merge the main volume into 512 as useable space for w11.

I installed steam, and downloaded final fantasy ix and moguri mod though, seems to be working perfect. Very happy, just need the windows 11 hdd enlarged

3. mmika

mmika Pro

DonaldW7, Windows installation takes around 10 minutes and less, installation of steam and two games depends from it size.
    But all these take less time than describing how to enlarge windows virtual HDD with recovery at the end of a disk...
    So, I would recommend to create new VM, but during creation choose "customize" and set HDD size to 512/1TB...

4. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

DonaldW7 ... I had a very similar problem where the recovery partition took on the newly allocated disk space (don't know if this is Parallels or Windows, it didn't use to happen, my suspicion is it's Microsoft at fault) ... don't know if it's the best overall solution, but I've simply deleted the recovery portion and then expanded the boot drive into the freed up space (after all, it's a virtual machine so snapshots and backups negate the need for the recovery partition anyway)

This URL explains how to delete the recovery partition https://www.lifewire.com/delete-windows-recovery-partition-4128723

mmika likes this.
  5. DonaldW7

DonaldW7 Bit poster

Will try that, I was trying to fix that but now, I got on w11 and I closed my steam game. Ff9. It was like a square mode with black on sides. I closed the game and the screen remains this way, I've closed and restarted w11 several times, went to parallels options and hit restore to default full screen etc

Can't get the damn screen to go back to wide screen. Just a smooshed square like old school tv's

once I figure this out I will fix the hard drive issue. Has to be from steam putting w11 into that mode because the game itself does that, but even after I closed steam, it is stuck in that format

so dumb lol