No network connection - manual install Win 10

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Tommytong, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Tommytong

Tommytong Bit poster

Hi all,

For some reason my MacBook Air M1 can't seem to find a network connection doing a manual install of Windows 10 ARM ISO. The only option you have is to indicate you don't have a network connection, however in order to join the machine to Azure AD, I need to use the AAD name and password.

Any ideas?

2. Tommytong

Tommytong Bit poster

Fyi I've already tried switching to all the different connection types as well

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi
    Windows in Paralles on m1 host requires special network driver. While unattended installation it is installed automatically. You need to install it by hands while manual installation. The driver can be found in the root directory of Parallels Tools.iso
    I can't say what is the most convenient way to connect Parallels Tools.iso to VM. Likely going to menu of Parallels Desktop -> Action -> Install Parallels Tools will connect the iso. Or you can connect it manually, from /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools

4. Tommytong

Tommytong Bit poster

Thanks Elric. I figured as much for the special network driver. Is there a way to install it by hand at the manual windows install screen? Not sure if I've tried to load up drivers manually during the install since it usually just picks it all up.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I'm not sure how to do this while installation. Surely it can be done after install.
    But you can try to add a second CD-Rom before Windows install and connect Parallels Tools.iso to it. Likely Windows will allow to select drivers for manual installation during install

6. Tommytong

Tommytong Bit poster

As the Windows 10 ARM image is a .VHDX this puts an interesting twist as you can't load it as an .iso for a manual install.