My Windows 11 is no longer on the Insider programme

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mike Boreham, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I am running Windows 11 Pro Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.168.0, which is the most recent update I received by being on the Insider Dev channel. My Windows 11 is activated.
    But Today I find I am no longer on the Insider Programme:
    Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 23.20.51.png
    I have seen various messages about switching to the Beta Channel but the Beta channel was greyed out in the insider settings.
    I have tried adding the TPM chip in Configuration but it doesn't change anything.
    I have also seen it said that the only way to run Windows 11 was via the Insider programme, but I am doing just that now.
    Surely I am not the only one in this situation....what is going to happen next? Will I be able to/have to buy a Windows 11 license on October 5th?
    Thanks for any clarification.

2. GiovanniM7

GiovanniM7 Junior Member

Same. It's absurd because parallel 17 was sold as "Windows 11 ready". Very misleading

3. MichaelN25

MichaelN25 Bit poster

I got the same problem and was monitoring a thread of incompatible driver(?) on this forum. can't find it now.. awaiting further update from Parallels on this.

4. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Well in their defence Windows 11 is running fine (at the moment) in Parallels 17 (Pro sub) on my M1 MBA!......just not on the Insider Programme which until now I believed was the only way to run Windows 11.
    We seem to be in a sort of limbo between being excluded from Insider and before licensed ARM Windows 11 is available to purchase.
    I hope Parallels can steer a path through the obstacle course set by Microsoft, Apple and ARM !

5. MichaelN25

MichaelN25 Bit poster

Mike, Agreed. I can still use it. well, we'll see how Parallels can talk it out with MS on this "incompatible" thing. I put full license on this Windows11 and purchased upgrade to P17. So my end state is expected to be all licensed and good to use.

6. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I don't think you can have bought a full license for Windows 11 yet? I have full licenses for Windows 10, and was put on Windows 11 for free by the Insider program with an evaluation copy. I am still expecting to pay for a Windows 11 license at some point. My Windows 11 does report as activated even though evaluation.

7. MichaelN25

MichaelN25 Bit poster

sorry for being unclear. same as your situation. just saw JP news that 11 would be free upgrade to 11 if 10 is licensed. guess formal from MS will come soon.

8. BertrandP

BertrandP Junior Member

Parallels Desktop 17 with the current version of Parallels Tools is not Windows 11 final ready, as the GPU driver is not respecting the requirements. Windows 11 requires a WDDM 2.0 driver with DirectX 12 support, and Parallels Tools currently install a WDDM 1.3 driver with DirectX 11 support only.

We'll have to wait for WDDM 2.0 driver with DirectX 12 support for Windows 11 to consider the VM as fully compliant.

speedy206 and MikeE3 like this.
  9. RicardoL6

RicardoL6 Bit poster

Which, on a positive note, does not seem like a big problem that cannot be overcome. We'll likely see a solution soon enough.

10. RicardoL6

RicardoL6 Bit poster

I actually had Windows 10 on ARM installed, with Windows 10 license, and it automatically updated to Windows 11 without asking me anything. So to me this is a lot like saying I have a license for Windows 11. Why the hell else would you just update me without asking.

11. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks Bertrand, so at that point we could theoretically rejoin Insider and get Insider updates?
    On Oct 5th Windows 11 will be released and licenses purchasable, but don't know if that will will include ARM licenses.
    Maybe we will have to stay on Insider (free) until ARM licenses become available.

12. RicardoL6

RicardoL6 Bit poster

I'm guessing we can also block the current early release version from further updating so that we can at least have this relatively stable build instead of a future less stable one, until Windows 11 releases?

13. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

From Michael's post #7 you could be right....free upgrade to 11 from licensed 10.

14. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Run the offlineinsider tool to get from Dev to Beta. I was in utter shock when I started up my Win 11 on my M1 MBP using Parallels 17 this evening. I went into the "check for updates" and saw it kicked me out of Insider Preview like others, likely due to Apple not recognizing Apple Silicon on their list of approved CPUs. In the past, we thought this issue was because of the WDDM 2.0 issue in DX12. Apparently that is not it, or only a part of it. Anyway, running that script seems to have gotten me back into the Preview via the Beta channel. I feel a loss for folks who are not as tech savvy and follow these forums as new folks who purchase parallels 17 specifically for Win 11, might be easily dismayed and downgrade to the (totally?) unsupported Windows 10 ARM that we all started with to get into Win 11 flighting.

Michael Pitt and AndreasK27 like this.
  15. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks very much @BradB7 ! Got the link from https://forum.parallels.com/threads/windows-11-on-arm.353890/page-5#post-889439
    Worked perfectly....now on Insider Beta channel:

Attached Files:

MichaelN25 likes this.
  16. MichaelN25

MichaelN25 Bit poster

Mike, Thanks for the tips. Got mine on Beta Channel.

17. KPOM

KPOM Member

Yes, PC Health Check detects an unsupported Apple Silicon CPU and reports that it is ineligible for Windows 11.

18. RicardoL6

RicardoL6 Bit poster

Mine is on the beta channel now as well. Awesome, thank you for the tip :)

19. EmulatorB

EmulatorB Bit poster

Actually no one promised you a working Windows 11 beta. If W11 is released in October and it's still not working, that'll be the time you should start complaining.

20. Harry12

Harry12 Member

Bei meinem MacBook Air M1 mit Parallels 16 ist jetzt auch die gleiche Situation wie bei Dir. Als Windows Version wird bei mir unter "Eingabe von winver" - Windows 11 - Microsoft Windows Version 21 H2 (Build 22000.168) angezeigt. Im Moment läuft Windows ohne Probleme und zumindest Updates für Microsoft Defender werden geladen und auch installiert. Hast Du oder sonst jemand eine Ahnung, was in Zukunft geschehen wird, wenn ich alles so lasse, wie es ist und Windows 10 nicht neu im Release Preview Channel installiere? Bekomme ich jetzt überhaupt noch Windows Updates? Über Antworten und Anregungen würde ich mich freuen.