Command line: prl_disk_tool convert - any way to use custom slice size?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mcgroarty, Aug 27, 2021.

1. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

It's possible to create a disk image with custom size sizes using the --split-size option with prl_disk_tool create but the equivalent option does not exist for prl_disk_tool convert.

What's the best way to convert disk images to use a custom slice size?

My use case: Both of my backup programs (Time Machine on my Mac and HyperBackup on my NAS) have file-level de-duplication. In other words, if one byte in a 600G disk image changes, the whole disk image gets written or uploaded again. I want to change to slices to localize changes to just a few slices; this minimizes the amount of data retransmitted. I can't use 2G slices however, because Parallels crashes if it hits 1024 open file handles. 600G in 2G chunks is 300 open files per snapshot layer on the disk, so Parallels crashes each time I try to launch a VM with 4 or more snapshots.

2. Hello, could you collect the technical report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?

3. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

@Maria@Parallels This isn't a bug report. I'm asking if a feature exists. I'm asking if there's a good way to use the prl_disk_tool --split-size option on an existing disk image, not just at image creation time.