Black Screen of Death continues to make Parallels unusable on M1

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by FrankB12, Sep 3, 2021.

1. FrankB12

FrankB12 Bit poster

It has been several months of trying to get Parallels to work with any reliability on my M1 Macbook Air and it still fails. I get the black screen with no recourse but to reset the machine.... losing all my work every time. Do better over there.

2. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, please elaborate on your issue in detail and attach a screenshot of it to make us understand it better.

3. FrankB12

FrankB12 Bit poster

A screenshot you say?

upload_2021-9-6_17-25-51.png

C'mon. You asked for that.

4. Anand48

Anand48 Member

5. mmika

mmika Pro

This is not "Black Screen of Death". It looks like application stopped redraw this window.
    It can be a lot of reasons for this. It would be very helpful if you send a technical report to Parallels and share its ID here.

6. BumbleW

BumbleW Bit poster

I have had this same issue for nearly a year now and just gave up using it until just now. Have you found a solution? Mine opens to a black screen and does nothing.

7. christodd10

christodd10 Bit poster

so, I'm no the only one with this issue, huh... Guess no one has found a solution to it yet?

8. RomanS9

RomanS9 Bit poster

I managed it. I went to DevicesKeyboardAlt+Ctrl+Delete
    and I had to wait maybe a minute to see normal Windows 11 screen.

9. ChristopherW24

ChristopherW24 Junior Member

10. Asish

Asish Staff Member

11. ChristopherW24

"4. If Windows cannot boot even into Safe mode or the steps above didn't help, Windows is considered beyond repair and a new virtual machine is required"​
    Considered beyond repair by whom? Certainly not to any IT expert. This isn't helpful to anyone who is knowledgeable enough to realise this is complete and utter claptrap. There can be lots of reasons for a black screen.

12. ChristopherW24

Correction: who isn't

13. FatihA4

FatihA4 Bit poster

why would I have to restart or kill the application all the time? It doesn't make sense to me. I always get this issue 2-3 time a week. Restarting the machine is not a solution, it will happen again. If you put your machine long time sleep, then you'll probably get same issue. I'm expecting a proper solution.

14. ChristopherW24

Then you have unrealistic expectations. A black screen could happen for many reasons, including problems with your environment which may be no fault of Parallels. If you want anything close to a guarantee of a proper solution, you are going to have to hire an IT expert to debug the problem, that is, unless that level of support is available with whatever package you bought from Parellels, which I'm doubtful of, because this could take up potentially hours of someone's time to solve.

If the problem is reproducible in multiple fresh virtual machines, and you supply Parallels with the steps to reproduce the problem, then perhaps you'll have more luck with getting a timely fix, but the staff at Parallels aren't mind readers or miracle workers.

15. FatihA4

FatihA4 Bit poster

You miss understood the point. If you are paying an application, you should expect a bug free environment/application\software. Have you searched the forum? just type black screen and see how many pages you will get? This is an ongoing and annoying problem. That black screen issue is not a Windows OS issue at all, it relates with Parellels itself directly. Do not try to teach me how IT works cuz have experience around 15 years.

16. ChristopherW24

I've misunderstood nothing. Parallels can't magically fix every cause of a black screen in a virtual machine, because that problem could be specific to the software running inside your virtual machine. I'm not saying that this isn't an issue with Parallels, but I am saying that it's very hard to debug, and there may even be multiple issues causing the same symptom, so unless you get a developer to *PERSONALLY* debug your machine, you *CANNOT* expect a proper solution. You can only hope that the issue is not specific to the software running inside your VM, and that it's the same issue being experienced by everyone else.

You need to come to the terms with the fact that your specific issue may never be addressed, and align your expectations with actual reality.

17. ChristopherW24

"That black screen issue is not a Windows OS issue at all, it relates with Parellels itself directly."​

You've reproduced the issue in multiple virtual machines, running on multiple host environments? If you've debugged to the extent that you are certain that the issue is caused by Parallels, then how about sharing your findings here?

18. JayC5

JayC5 Bit poster

I'm seeing the same behavior and my host doesn't even need to go to sleep--having the screensaver start can trigger the issue. But not every time, but 2-3 times a week is about right.

I access my source code via the \\mac share, and that has saved my butt numerous times. I recommend not storing anything important on the VM--treat it as ephemeral data.

I've tried DevicesKeyboardAlt+Ctrl+Delete without success. Resizing windows. Entering/leaving Coherence.

19. ChristopherW24

I access my source code via the \\mac share, and that has saved my butt numerous times. I recommend not storing anything important on the VM--treat it as ephemeral data.​

As long as the virtual hard disk isn't becoming corrupted, the data should be perfectly safe. I fail to see how the black screen would corrupt data, unless it happened mid automated save, but that would be very rare. You might need to elaborate on this a bit. It's not obvious how this relates to the issue.

20. ChristopherW24