Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

I wish I read this before I went back to a Windows 10 snapshot and rolled forward to Windows 11 again.

Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22449
    UPDATE 7:10PM PDT: Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and other areas of the OS wouldn't load. We quickly discovered an issue with a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and canceled that deployment. If you were impacted by this issue, you can use the following steps to get back into a working state on your PC.

• Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
    • Step 2: Choose "More details" at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
    • Step 3: Go to "File" and choose "Run new task".
    • Step 4: Type "cmd" in the "Open" field.
    • Step 5: Paste the following (everything in bold):
      reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
    • Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.

2. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Has anyone gone on the Dev channel with the script and received 22449?
    Is there a reason why recent messages have been to switch to the Beta channel?
    I was on the Dev channel until the recent developments.

3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks, so no reason not to go back on Dev channel now. Currently installing 22449.

4. RussellB4

RussellB4 Bit poster

So what is the deal Parallels? Is this the end of the road and we are reduced to some sort of jailbreaking hack or is there a professional response from this company that continues to take large amounts of money for a product that is increasingly looking like being useless within a few weeks. Time to come clean guys. All the scripts and hacks in the world are not going to work if MS are hardware locking Apple Silicon out of the loop. TBH I increasingly hate anything MS so if its time to dump this rubbish then so be it but please be honest.

5. BradB7

BradB7 Member

You got the 22449 build without going to Dev channel? I ran the script and got updates back, but switched to the Beta channel and have received other updates, but not 22449. I only have "2021-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for arm64-based Systems (KB5006050)" as a quality update installed on 9/2/21.

Have I done something wrong? My latest OS build shows as "22000.176" The offlineinsider tool shows I'm under Beta-Mainline but still in the Preview program, so did the 22449 really only release to the Dev channel?

6. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Well I also used the script but went back to Beta channel.
    I am at 21H2, 22000.176 and last Quality Update was KB5006050. So don't know if that is the latest or if something was missed.

BradB7 likes this.
  7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Sorry I misled you there. At the point I said "no reason not to go back on Dev" I had already done it and was downloading 22449.

BradB7 likes this.
  8. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Yep. Same here. Seems we don't get 22449 build without an ISO install or by switching back to the Dev channel as Mike did above. I just want this compatibility thing to be fixed so we can roll on to Windows 11 "Release candidate build" within our parallels! :)

9. MikeG11

MikeG11 Member

Even though Parallels 17 seems to be resolving TPM and other remaining blocks, I haven't seen any indication that Microsoft will ever officially support Apple's M1 or future M series processors. I can imagine Microsoft weighing the prospect of leaving Parallels in an embarrassing and legally vulnerable situation vs. pressure to slow the Apple silicon juggernaut coming from Qualcomm, Intel, AMD, Lenovo, Dell, and other industry giants (not to mention Microsoft's own internal ARM processor ambitions). The sharp uptick in Mac sales since the M1's release has certainly not gone unnoticed.

It's doubtful I'm the only one wondering why Parallels is so far ahead in supporting Windows ARM on Apple silicon compared to VMware which remains noncommittal about supporting it in their Fusion product. It may turn out that VMware has had deeper insight into Microsoft's plans than Corel.

10. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Hey folks. There was a 17.0.1 update overnight (Sept 7). According to the KB notice, the compatibility message has been fixed. https://kb.parallels.com/en/125521

No time to play today, but it says the compatibility issue will no longer be displayed and you can freely switch Dev/Beta channels within Insider Preview without using the "insiderenroll" hack.

11. Harry12

Harry12 Member

Es wird in dem Update nur von Parallels 17 gesprochen. Und was ist mit den Leuten -wie mit mir- , die noch mit Parallels 16.5.1 arbeiten? Weiß das jemand?

12. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Any ideas if there is something necessary to do if we used the insider hack? Right now in Windows I see information stating I used that hack. Thanks.

13. MikeG11

MikeG11 Member

Woah, that was quick and awesome news! This is what I was waiting to hear before upgrading from Parallels 16.5 to 17.
    If the processor block really is fixed, I'll be very happy to see our concerns about support for Windows 11 on Apple silicon laid to rest.

14. AyushR

AyushR Bit poster

I used the offineinsiderenroll tool to remove myself from the insider program. After that I registered properly through the settings. I now have the option to change between channels in the settings app itself. I recommend you do it too.

BradB7, SWANDY and kundanno like this.
  15. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Thanks for the instructions. That what I did.

16. BradB7

BradB7 Member

However, if you run the "Health Checkup" app, it still says that the "Apple Silicon CPU isn't supported" and if you follow more info to the Windows website, it says we won't be able to run Windows 11 when released. It will be interesting to see what stance MS takes regarding this situation as it appears compatibility is now entirely in their hands short of attempting to "spoof" a different ARM CPU to MS.

17. Lutz-R.F

Lutz-R.F Bit poster

Thanks for pointing the script - I received 22449 after setting to beta - but one weird thing, on the new build Windows Insider only displays the footer :

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-08 um 17.30.35.png

18. Harry12

Harry12 Member

Hallo allerseits, bei mir sieht es im Moment mit Parallels 16.5.1 wie folgt aus : am 02.09.21. Mail von Microsoft erhalten, mein PC erfüllt nicht Vorraussetzungen für Win 11 und ich soll Win 10 laden, am 03.09. jedoch Update erhalten, aber beim Start wird weiterhin Win 10 angezeigt(siehe Anlage), Microsoft Defender wird bis jetzt ständig aktualisiert. Ist die Situation wohl bei mir nur so, oder bei anderen auch? Und hat einer eine Ahnung, wie es wohl mit dieser Konstellation unter Parallels 16 weiter gehen wird? Screenshot 2021-09-04 145654.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-09 um 10.54.26.png

19. Harry12

Harry12 Member

:-( Fände ich absolut Scheiße, wenn ich nach so kurzer Zeit upgraden müsste und schon wieder Geld - und das nicht unerheblich - dafür bezahlen müsste. Ich denke, dass da Parallels in der Pflicht ist und zumindest das Funktionieren von Win 10 unter Version 16 garantieren muss, denn damit haben sie ja geworben.

20. Harry12

Harry12 Member

Dass eine Installation von Win 10 unter P 16 nicht mehr möglich sein soll, würde ich nicht verstehen, denn lt. der Mail von MS werden mir verschiedene Downloads angeboten - Siehe Anhang

Attached Files: