Windows 11 on Parallels v17 M1 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by adanguspf, Aug 10, 2021.

1. adanguspf

adanguspf Member

Make sure you've loaded the ARM version of Win11. I did a new clean install of Win11 for ARM.

2. MikeG11

MikeG11 Member

Only the ARM versions of Windows 10/11 will run on Apple Silicon. The fact that I'm able to boot up, test performance and run the compatibility check on an M1 Mac Mini is proof that this is the ARM version.

With that aside, which compatibility tool are you using? If you run this compatibility checker (from the official Insider website) are you saying your W11 instance passes all checks including Apple Silicon processor? Also, please share the download link used for your clean install.

Update: Since my previous post:
    • A couple days ago, I received the latest Windows 11 ARM build on the Insider Beta channel (22000.184).
    • This instance was on the Dev channel, but I took no action after the "downgrade back to W10" warning from Microsoft.
    • I was subsequently forced off the Dev channel and my account completely unlinked from the Insider program.
    • However, I had no problem reenrolling just now. Settings -> Windows Update now shows I'm on the Beta channel.
    Whether I will continue to get automatic updates on the Beta channel (despite the incompatible M1 processor) remains to be seen.