[patch] Support for kernel 5.14.2 (Parallels Tools 17.0.0.51461)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by (GalaxyMaster), Sep 12, 2021.

1. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

Hello,

You know, it is that time again :). A new incompatible kernel change that breaks Parallel Tools. The attached is a quick'n'dirty patch that makes the tools work on the new kernel. As always, I am writing this message from a patched VM, so at least it works for me. If I have time, I will dive deeper into the source code since I've spotted quite a few compilation warnings from the tools I wanted to investigate.

Attached Files:

BozK likes this.
  2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

Just a bit cleaner version, based on @Evan123's thread re: kernel 5.14 (I applied the same "dev->pdev" => "dev->dev" to a block which is not even compiled :) ).

Attached Files:

BozK and JaniP like this.
  3. FrancoB2

FrancoB2 Bit poster

I also have problems installing Parallels tools on Kernel 5.14.8-1-ARCH, the version of my Parallels is 17.0.1.

4. Evan123

Evan123 Bit poster

On the newer versions of 5.14 (e.g. 5.14.6) on openSUSE Tumbleweed, the tools install fine but system hangs on boot. Uninstalling the tools resolves (but then we don't have the tools...). I don't have time to figure this one out unfortunately.

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I've seen this happen during boot and shutdown. Sometimes the system seems to wait for a user-input event, be that either a mouse move or a spacebar hit. Sometimes one works to have it continue, sometimes the other. Very odd.

Not sure this is even particular to Linux since I've seen this happen when shutting down an Android VM as well. If that's the case, it's likely a tools issue as you say.

Waiting for someone at Parallels to request a technical report...

6. Vincent13

Vincent13 Bit poster

For your information

This patch doesn't fix the hang on boot
    5.14.9-200.fc34.x86_64
    Fedora 34

7. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Check that... *Not* a Tools issue, but a greater Parallels issue. There are no Parallels Tools for Android installs. Not sure why I didn't realize that when I wrote it.

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

FYI: Has to be re-applied in 17.1
    The Tools upgrade initially appears to run after a reboot, but fails on a complete reboot. No idea why that should even happen, unless it was using a weak dependency in the first reboot... which also shouldn't happen.