Parallels for Mac Pro Edition v16 - Debian 10.8 black screen installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by netmaster_yisu, Feb 19, 2021.

1. netmaster_yisu

netmaster_yisu Bit poster

Greetings, Programs !

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) running Catalina 10.15.7 (19H524) with 16GB of RAM and 256 internal SSD. I am running Parallels for Mac Pro Edition
    Version 16.1.3 (49160) and I am trying to install Debian 10.8 using the ISO: debian-10.8.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso (md5: 11487cad151422cb70076bfb7e918540)

I have tried using different configuration such as: standard SATA, SCSI, even NVMe, different network configurations, Isolated Linux from Mac, different RAM (2GB or 4GB), different options like disable camera, audio, etc, etc, etc.

I am getting always the same behavior, the ISO boots-up and shows me the "Debian installer Menu (Bios mode)" some kind of blue(ish) background and I select 2nd option with is "Install", that is basic command line installation. Then, it starts? after 1 or 2 secs gets stuck on a black screen, and nothing happens, no CD/DVD movement, or network, nothing. Meaning the installation crashed/freeze ???

I have also a MacMini 2018 where I have VMware fusion v12, and I can install the same ISO (with NVMe options, or SATA, old Bios or UEFI, etc) and I can always install it, I have installed on the MacMini a bunches of times.

I have on my MacBook under Parallels for Mac v16.1.3, a bunch of VMs like: Ubuntu 20.04, FreeBSD, MacOS 10.15.5 and even ESXi v6.7 all the VMs run fine, what is going on with this Debian 10.8?

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only Hope.

2. ScottC17

ScottC17 Bit poster

After installing the Ubuntu 20.04.2 using the parallels Control Center, it booted up with a blank screen (Mac, OSX 10.15.7 with Parallels 17.0.1 (51482)). I did this on my other Mac with the same OS and it worked fine, so not sure about the cause. I was able to get things working by using the menu item Devices | Keyboard | Ctrl+Alt+F2. That gave me a login prompt and let me set the password. I think ran "sudo apt update" (entering the password again) and much needed updated. So I did a "sudo apt upgrade" which took a while. After that I "reboot"ed it. The first boot took a long time and I saw activity. It booted and the UI was available for login. Then I shutdown the VM (via ubuntu) to increase the memory and CPUs. Again, it took it a long time to shutdown. However, boot up was normal time and since it appears to be working properly. Hope this helps. Please send the droids back, they were might handy around the house. ;)